Any Thoughts On This Cake Idea?

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm by tonedna

stacylambert Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 7:30am
post #1 of 10

The annual San Diego cake show is in a couple months, so I'm trying to plan ahead. I had an idea for a wedding cake dress, but it's a little different than ones I've seen in the galleries. Most of those are the ball gown style with a small bodice. Being for a cake show and made from dummies, I figure why not go BIG.

Here's a drawing of it:

You can probably tell from the picture, but the blue outline is the cake, while the horizontal lines separate the dummy tiers.

I'm worried that the small diameter - especially the waist - makes it a little unrealistic to do in actual cake (although I have seen some pretty unrealistic 3D cakes compete and win!), but they are in proportion. It's all scaled down from ~ size 6.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Doug Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 10

no more unrealistic than a topsy-turvy/whimsical cake that has sides that slant in.

the top isn't all that wider than the waist.

my question -- why the skirt is so much wider than the cake inside it? what will keep it from collapsing in on itself?

stacylambert Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 10

The bottom of the skirt is supposed to be puffy looking, sort of like this dress: http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0031/0054933/larger_image.jpg

To do that I was going to do either fondant doubled over with an air pocket (like a bow is made) or several ruffled layers, depending on the final look I decide on.

Thanks for the reply, by the way. It's nice to hear that it doesn't look too crazy from someone who actually knows what they're doing! icon_wink.gif

Doug Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert

The bottom of the skirt is supposed to be puffy looking, sort of like this dress: http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0031/0054933/larger_image.jpg

oh...

yeah

hmmmm

well now

that is an "interesting" dress.

some how fashion like this is just lost on a guy!

LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 10

I think your design is fantastic! I don't think it's unrealistic either...quite doable just as you have illustrated. I can NOT wait to see the finished piece!

ETA:

4" waist? Is that after carving? Will the sizes used be considering the side view carving as well. 'Cause that side view may not give enough substance to account for the in then out curve from the shoulder to the waist then the waist to the buttocks...( I don't think doing it in styrofoam will pose that big of a structural problem but duplicating the tapering of the small of the back may pose a problem in cake...unless, when duplicating it, you opt to do the upper portion in another medium)

vickymacd Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 10

I like your cake design better than that dress! Good luck.

stacylambert Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 10

LOL! I'm not a big fan of the dress I linked to either, but it was the first one that came up on Google image search that had a poofy bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I think your design is fantastic! I don't think it's unrealistic either...quite doable just as you have illustrated. I can NOT wait to see the finished piece!

ETA:

4" waist? Is that after carving? Will the sizes used be considering the side view carving as well. 'Cause that side view may not give enough substance to account for the in then out curve from the shoulder to the waist then the waist to the buttocks...( I don't think doing it in styrofoam will pose that big of a structural problem but duplicating the tapering of the small of the back may pose a problem in cake...unless, when duplicating it, you opt to do the upper portion in another medium)

Yes, the 4" is after carving. I have a side view drawing made as well (just in pencil, I don't have it on the computer yet) and there is a center line the whole way until the the neck of the dress form. Considering how small the actual neck will be, I don't think that will be an issue. I completely agree though, if it was real cake I would definitely do the top in RKT and just mold it around the support pole.

I suppose I should start early just in case the carving doesn't work. That will at least give myself enough time to try again or come up with another design! icon_eek.gif

Thanks vickymacd!

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 10

Okay, I'm not a genius cake maker, but I DO have an almost 3 year old and an almost 1 1/2 year old who are both giant CAPITAL XX Chromosomes... so when I saw your drawing, I automatically thought.... "That's Cinderella's first dress calmed down!" -You know, the one the mice and birdies made? -gonna go check your link icon_wink.gif Anyway, maybe it will be another point of reference? If nothing else, you have my best wishes and prayers! icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 10

I can't give you any tips on the carving, since I've never carved - but I do have an idea for you. If I was actually wearing that dress, it would be with my Mom's pearls. I think adding a string around the models neck would be fantastic.

tonedna Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 10

I am with Doug, I think I would shape the cake in the bottom so it would hold the weight of the skirt.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%