Refrigerating Ganache Cake - Help!!!

Decorating By allissweets Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm by zdebssweetsj

allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 5

I am about to cover three (topsy turvy) tiers of cake in ganache, and I am planning to follow the topsy-turvy directions on here and refrigerate between crumb-coating in ganache and applying fondant. But as the cake rises to room temp when I put the fondant on, won't the ganache soften? Doesn't the cake/ganache sweat a little? Also, should I refrigerate the tiers after I apply the fondant? Does all this taking ganache in and out the fridge cause problems?

Sorry for the 20 questions - I can't screw this cake up! It's for my dear friend's surprise 30th birthday. I've posted a few times and no one's answered yet. :\\

Please help!!! TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 5

Have you seen this thread on covering a cake with ganache:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661775-.html

HTH

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 5

I do not refrigerate cakes covered in ganache, no need to. After covering with ganache, let them set up overnight and then cover with fondant. I always due it this way and never have problems. Learned this from Sugarshack's topsy turvy dvd and works like a dream

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 5

Yea...what patty said.

No need to refrig as long as your fillings aren't perishable. I never use perishable fillings and therefore don't refrigerate. In the past, refrigeration has given me nothing but problems with condensation and bubbles in my fondant so I don't do it.

Probably no need to for you. I think the recommendation to refrig may be to have the choc set faster? Do what the other post said in regard to sugarshack's instructions and you'll be fine.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiosa

Yea...what patty said.

No need to refrig as long as your fillings aren't perishable. I never use perishable fillings and therefore don't refrigerate. In the past, refrigeration has given me nothing but problems with condensation and bubbles in my fondant so I don't do it.

Probably no need to for you. I think the recommendation to refrig may be to have the choc set faster? Do what the other post said in regard to sugarshack's instructions and you'll be fine.

Same as the above post refrigerate if you are using a perishable filling I've done it both ways and love ganache under fondant and haven't had any problems yet. Good Luck and Happy New Year

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%