Why Don't Bridal Magazines List Cake Prices?

Business By tashistation Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 12:05am by 11cupcakes

tashistation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 16

Am I alone in thinking that it would help our business immensely if bridal magazines were to print the cost of the cakes they feature in the captions? I wonder why is this not done? In home decorating magazines, you can flip to the back and see the "sources" pages which list the price and where to buy the item. Why not do something similar for cakes? The wedding dresses are usually priced, so why not cake?

I think it would help our business so much if people knew how much those gorgeous cakes in magazines cost. Right from the start, when a bride is first daydreaming, she will know that that amazing cake in Martha Stewart starts at $1000 depending on how many servings it is.

Just a wish for the new year I guess icon_smile.gif

15 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 16

Daydreamers don't want to know the price.
Why it isn't put in the back somewhere though, I have no idea.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 16

I'm thinking "wow! you found a bridal magazine that actually has a CAKE in it!?" icon_surprised.gif

I have started describing bridal magazines as a catalog for the dress manufacturers. More times than I can count, I've flipped thru one of these in the store and found not ONE cake in the entire magazine.

Since cake people aren't big advertisers in these magz, then they are just not an important part of the wedding, I guess.

But those who DO occasionally publish a cake ... yes, having a source and a price, like with the dress manufacturers (who seem to run the show in those publications) would be VERY nice.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 16

It would be wonderful it they did this and if the cake shows would too - I would love for Duff or Buddy to say how much their cakes are! Then people wouldn't complain about $3 per slice which is cheap for cake and mine are all from scratch!

tashistation Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm thinking "wow! you found a bridal magazine that actually has a CAKE in it!?" icon_surprised.gif

I know, it's crazy how much dress advertising there is!! But hey it keeps the magazines in business and I have to think that's a good thing.

Martha Stewart and The Knot's magazines both do very nice editorial cake spreads. I bet there isn't a cake in those magazines under $1000 (or maybe even $1500), especially since they're mostly NYC cake designers.

If only Duff and Buddy mentioned their prices too! Can you imagine how much that would educate the public about the amount of work and talent that is going into these creations!?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 16

A lot of them do list the price per serving, but Martha Stewart doesn't. I get brides who bring in pictures of cakes from magazines and it's obvious that they've cut off the part that lists the price icon_rolleyes.gif Uh, I know how much it said it was, I got the magazine, too. They're obviously hoping that I'll do a $12 a serving cake for $2 a serving if I don't see how much it says it costs, ha ha ha!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #7 of 16

I know right?! Especially when you know it's a Ron Ben Isreal or another designer who's work you are familiar with. I love when I see a pic. like that and say "oh, I know that cake. It's by so & so". Love the look on their face.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #8 of 16

Ugh I know I hate it too. I don't buy bridal magazines because they never have cakes in there. I do get Wedding Cakes magazine from the UK although their cakes are mostly fondant and do seem to repeat. It's so frustrating.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 5:03am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Daydreamers don't want to know the price.
Why it isn't put in the back somewhere though, I have no idea.

Exactly. Many that buy these magazines aren't even getting married, lots are young girls daydreaming or newly engaged ones who don't quite know what they're in for yet. Same with the cake tv shows, why spoil a fabulous fantasy with the brutal reality.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 16

I've had a few cakes published in some magazines and the editors DO give you the option to list the overall price/price per serving/how many it would serve/an imaginary flavour of your styrofoam cake dummy, etc.

My guess is that most people don't choose to list a price because a) it's hard to tell how large the cake is in real life, and b) the clients don't realize you can adjust the size of a cake in a photo. They think that's exactly how large it has to be, no changes.

It's a catch-22 really. Publish the price of that one cake in the photo and risk turning people off who may need less cake/have a lower budget that you could have provided less intricate/smaller cakes for.....or don't publish the price and have to answer endless inquiries from people who don't have the budgets to afford that cake in the photo in the first place and have to listen to them be shocked/rude about the cost.

Brides are forever pointing at photos in your portfolio and just asking "How much is that one?" without assessing how large their own cake needs to be, etc. They might really like the look of a 5-tiered cake that serves over 200 main-dessert slices.....but only need a 3-tiered cake that serves 80 buffet slices. They very often don't realize that we can alter the number of tiers and the size of each one to make the same cake design. If not, the price puts them off and the inquiry ends there. icon_sad.gif

That said, it is very handy to include a rough ball-park estimate of how much that cake in the photo would cost. It cuts down on endless inquiries calling/emailing you about that cake in particular and helps the bride understand beforehand what her budget range needs to be if she does want to make a serious inquiry with you. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

It's a catch-22 really. Publish the price of that one cake in the photo and risk turning people off who may need less cake/have a lower budget that you could have provided less intricate/smaller cakes for.....or don't publish the price and have to answer endless inquiries from people who don't have the budgets to afford that cake in the photo in the first place and have to listen to them be shocked/rude about the cost.

Agree with this one! Too many times, after determining a bride needs 100 servings, I'd sit there while they point to different cakes "how much is this one? how much is this one?" and I'd reply "$350. $350. $350." (big sigh)

One thing I recently started to do (and never got the time to go back thru ALL of my pics) was when I'd print out a photo of a cake I made, I'd copy the photo to a word doc, then under the pic add info for different size cakes.

I listed the size of the cakes & number of servings for the cake "as shown". Then list alternate size cakes and number of servings under a heading of "Can also be made in the following sizes...."

So if I had a 6 tier cake that served 300, I'd offer them options that showed them they could have a 3 tier cake that served 125 in pretty much the same design.

tashistation Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 16

I just got the latest issue of The Knot's magazine and on pages 58-59 they show two sort of similar cakes and describe why one is $13 a slice and one is $8 a slice. Refreshing change! Unfortunately most of the other cakes in the magazine have no price.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 16

In most fashion magazines they list where you can get that outfit in the back of the magazine with the price. Couldn't bridal magazines list the cake like: pg 52, three tier fondant cake by XXX Bakery, 100 servings, $500. That would give readers enough info to understand the pricing more than they do now.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 16

I've seen cake prices in Bridal magazines...its usually in very small print...but gives the artist and cost.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 16

Yeah, I've seen it in a few, but I cant remember which ones.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:05am
post #16 of 16

You can find prises on some bridal magazine's websites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%