Wilton Buttercream Icing

Baking By Ashlynn Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm by denetteb

Ashlynn Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 6

Whenever I make Wiltons buttercream Icing I have to add at least two extra tablespoons of water before it will even look like icing. Could this be because we have well water? I was just wondering if anyone else sees this problem with the icing or if I'm doing something wrong. Thank you!

5 replies
prterrell Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

No, using well water as opposed to city water or bottled water makes no difference. What can make a difference is whether you sift then measure the powdered sugar or measure then sift (or measure without sifting at all). The humidity of the day can also affect the icing. Bottom line: use the amount of liquid needed to get the icing to the consistency that works for you.

cakesdivine Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton BC is the nastiest tasting stuff, way too sweet. But then again all crusting BC are way too sweet or they wouldn't crust. Kids will love it anyway. Adults maybe one out of 5 will love it. Back in the dinosaur ages when Wilton BC recipe was what I used (I didn't know any better) it would bother me that people would eat the cake and leave all the icing behind, some wouldn't even try the cake because it had BC on it. That is when I set out to create my own BC recipe that is the most wonderful tasting stuff and easy to work with. Became even better when I stopped using Crisco and started using CK Hi ratio shortening.

JanH Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 6

If you're using the Wilton class buttercream recipe*, that is intended to yield a "stiff" consistency. Just add more water/milk/corn syrup to thin to either "medium" or "thin" consistency depending on what you're using it for. icon_smile.gif

* http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 6

I tell my students that the class recipe is the best one I know of to learn the different consistencies, but once they have a better "handle" on things, they'll probably want to experiment with different recipes for better taste.

denetteb Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 6

I always need to add more liquid (I usually use milk with Wiltons bc) than what is called for, don't worry about it. Just add till it is the consistency you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%