How Do I Work With Rkt?

Decorating By jenniboo Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm by jenniboo

jenniboo Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 4

I know this probably seems like a very basic question.....but I'm a beginner, so bear with me icon_smile.gif I've seen SO many gorgeous cakes that have used RKT to mold different shapes/characters. I'd like to try this sometime in the near future. My question is....when using RKT for cakes, do you mix it up just as you normally would? Or are there any changes that need to be made to the recipe when it's being used for cakes?
Also, how long do the treats need to cool/set before you can start working with it?

3 replies
Malakin Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 4

I use the recipe for the regular RKT listed on the inside of the box. I work verly quickly with them when I shape them. I butter my hands and as soon as the RKT is cool enough for me to pick up, I start shaping. I've heard some ppl say you can microwave them to resoften but I never have tried that yet.

prterrell Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 4

Use the standard recipe. I let them cool just enough so I won't burn my hands, about a minute or two. Grease your hands with butter or shortening so the RKT doesn't stick to you. They are very easy to mold.

jenniboo Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much ladies! I wouldn't have thought to put butter or crisco on my hands before working with the RKT. I knew it was going to be a learn-as-I-go kind of thing...but this will help it go a little more smoothly. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%