Applying Fondant Cut Outs To Buttercream

Decorating By Donnawb Updated 28 Dec 2015 , 5:10pm by mehal3112

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 10

How do I attach fondant cut outs to a buttercream iced cake such as this one? I'm very new and wasn't' sure if you attached fondant cut outs to buttercream the same way you would to a fondant covered cake. Thanks!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=50541

9 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 10

I would use a little bit of piping gel brushed onto the back of the decoration with a small brush. The piping gel sticks beautifully to BC cakes, and will not cause any bleeding of colors (which is especially important if your BC is white)

GL!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 10

I just did a snowflake cake (iced in buttercream with fondant snowflakes) and just stuck the fondant to the buttercream. No problems with the snowflakes falling off.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 10

Just slap those fondant cutouts onto the bc before it crusts. Easy-breezy.

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for replying everyone!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 10

i like to fridge my cakes after i viva the buttercream so sometimes i can't stick them right on without any adhesive of some sort, expecially if my cutouts have a ton of powdered sugar on them. ashley vicos taught me the trick to use a combo of karo syrup and water. i stick everything with it now...the water evaporates and the syrup keeps things where they should be!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 10

I just use some BC and a #3 Wilton tip.

mehal3112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mehal3112 Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 10

Hi

I am new to cake decorating. I use cooked frosting for my cakes and I am making a cake with this cooked frosting and fondant cut outs, after a couple days for the first time.  Need help on few things. Since my frosting  uses milk, I have to refrigerate my cake. In this case, should I let my fondant cut outs be dried and then stick them? Can I stick them fresh and refrigerate the cake? Can I still refrigerate the cake after sticking dried fondants? When should I pull it out before serving? 

Any help is appreciated. Please Help

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 6:35am
post #9 of 10

mehal - you don't really need to frig your cakes because you are using milk.  It is cooked and the amount of sugar used usually is more than enough to keep the icing safe w/o refrig'ration.  Most of the time replies say not to frigt a cake w/fondant but I have w/o problems.  Most cake tastes much better at room temp so several hours to let it come to room temp - or as pointed out here don't even refrig at all :)

mehal3112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mehal3112 Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks much for your reply. I'll try it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%