Clay Gun/extruder

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 4:20am by artscallion

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 10

I have seen the squeeze grip type (now carried on Jennifer Dontz's site) and the twist type (ie Makin at Hobby Lobby). Any suggestions from those that have one?

9 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Linda, I have the red and black clay gun. For me its easy to work with. When I use gumpaste or 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant, I knead the paste with shortening and then dip it in some warm water and knead really well. The texture should be of chewing gum. Then put the paste into the claygun and extrude. It works really well. But you will needs some practice. Some members use the other one. So it comes down to what works best for you! icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 10

I have the makins one and love it. Not expensive and very easy to use.

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 10

I have the Makins one and like it pretty well. The only problem is that I'd like to be able to extrude directly onto the cake, but it's hard to do because of the twisting motion you have to use on the handle. You can't get too close to the cake or you'll hit it with the handle. Seems like with the squeeze grip, you'd be able to squeeze it right onto the cake with no problem. Anyone who has one of those use it that way?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 10

Bought the twist type from the crasft store and it was hard to use. It was like a cheap garlic press and really hurt my wrists/hands. I ordered away for the sugarcra*ft gun (with the squeeze handle). I have heard great things about it and it's looks like much better quality (and cost a lot more) than the twist one:
http://www.cakemischief.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sugarcraft+gun

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper713

I have the Makins one and like it pretty well. The only problem is that I'd like to be able to extrude directly onto the cake, but it's hard to do because of the twisting motion you have to use on the handle. You can't get too close to the cake or you'll hit it with the handle. Seems like with the squeeze grip, you'd be able to squeeze it right onto the cake with no problem. Anyone who has one of those use it that way?

Yes! I did a soccar cake and piped the net straight on the cake. And also when I do a boader around the cake. I extrude a little bit at first and then start sticking around the cake while extruding.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 10

I have both the red & black and the Makins Ultimate (light green metal with a "T" twist handle).

Hate the red & black--why?? Have to add LOTS of crisco to get the fondant soft enough to extrude easily. Barrel is so short that you have to re-load way too often. Expensive. Sits in the drawer--I never use it.

Love the Makins Ultimate--why?? Don't really have to add any crisco, if you don't want to. I usually add a very little bit. Long barrel yields long extrusions. Handle is very easy to turn (never, ever, buy one of the push handle extruders). Easy to clean and put back together. Inexpensive. I use it all of the time.

Rae

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 10

I just bought the Makins Ultimate and have used it several times already. I love it and wonder how I ever managed without it.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone! My HL was out of stock last week, will try again this week!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #10 of 10

I've tried a few. the Makins green with the twist is the only one that works. The handle spins with no effort whatsoever. I use it on just about every cake I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%