Licensed Home Kitchen's... Share Your Workspace...

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 4:21am by morgnscakes

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 14

For those of you who have a licensed home kitchen, I'd LOVE to see some of your work spaces.

Is it adequate? What do you love the most about your space. What do you HATE? What do you WISH you had?

Right now... I'm dreaming of a BIG commercial oven, counter space, and more storage. I measured today. I have a whole 5 feet of counter space in my kitchen. I've got some dreams. You should see my dining room right now. I'm in the middle of a wedding cake that involves 8 cakes. I just realized that I have no place to put all these cakes as they come out of the oven.

How do those of you with limited space pull it off? What alterations do you make to your home during big projects?
LL

13 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 14

I have had my home kitchen, licensed on 11/19 and have not done a paid order yet, I am trying to get my Insurance and things ready for the New Year, but like you I have limited space, I too use my dinning room, but Luckily I have a spare Bedroom Downstairs, which I will be able to turn into my cake room for storage/Office space, My kitchen is a reasonable size but the counter space is limited, I wish I had an Island, to do more work on, But My cousin/ Landlord told me he will be redoing my kitchen in the spring, new counters, and cupboards, Yeah, I tried to get him to extend the kitchen, but he says the property line does not allow him to, I will post a picture later, in the middle of cleaning up for the new year.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 14

I'm not a licensed home baker (yet) and I have quite a big kitchen but just a suggestion for all the cakes coming out of the oven... if you have a bunch of cardboard boxes - like the shipping kind - can you put the cakes in there and stack them on top of each other so you free up more space on your table?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 14

I wish I had one with pictures to share. But I would suggest if you are needing space to cool cakes or sit tiers, I would suggest getting a folding table from Lowes. They have one that folds in 1/2 for less than $50. It would give more space and easy to store away when not using

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 14

Luckily I have a large kitchen but when I started out my table was covered in cakes as they were cooling. I spent about $245 on a speed rack and it was so worth it. I can cool all the cakes together in a small area.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 14

I can see the real benefit to a speed rack but have no place to put that either. ha ha ha One day! I'm have goals!

I survived this cake! Really pleased with hot it turned out. Counter Space was the biggest issue. Once I started stacking, space opened up real quick!
LL

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #7 of 14

Your cake is LOVELY! GREAT JOB! Thank you for all of your input, I've wondered these things myself! I have only made a few cakes, so, I still have tons to learn... like, what is a speed rack? Someone not long ago talked about converting an old crib into cooling racks I think; I'd love to see those pics! Are the speed racks the things someone referred to recently that you get from Pampered Chef? Ohhhhh here I gooooo, I can feel myself getting sucked into the world of cake! icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #8 of 14

They are not really speed racks, the proper name is a bun rack.(learned this recently when we were shopping for equipment for our new shop) They are very tall racks with spaces for sheet pans or other pans, you can get them at restaurant supply stores

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #9 of 14

Hey, thanks! icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:38am
post #10 of 14

Your cake turned out beautifully! I have used my coffee table as well as my girl's "kid" table for cooling cakes or leaving them until ready to stack. Thankfully I've not run into the problem of having so many tiers to have to deal w/ at once. I think I'd go crazy trying to find space too.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:57am
post #11 of 14

I want a kitchen like Sharon Zambito her kitchen looks big and beautiful on her DVDs.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:21am
post #12 of 14

Not that my kitchen is even big enough for this (I have a tiny tiny 20 sq foot kitchen, yeah that's right 4 ft wide by about 5ft). Anyway I saw on a home dec show where they bought ready made cabinet and put wheels on it so it had shelf under and they put a big cutting board as butcher block but you could just do formica or granite...just something I thought of.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 14

Cakeinfatuation, That is a very beautiful cake, and it is big, love the bride and groom, Did you make them, if you did you did a wonderful job.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:21am
post #14 of 14

CakeInfatuation,

I understand your pain. We, too, have a very small kitchen with not alot of counter space. As a matter of fact, our house is probably only about 1000 square feet total (2 bedrooms). We have a L-shaped dining/living room, so we use our dining room table and we went out and purchased a couple of 4 foot tables from Lowe's, which we set up in the living room/dining area at those crucial times (and we can only use the back door cuz the front one is blocked). We also went to target and got a couple of stainless racks that have 3 shelves. they were only about $40. They are great for putting cakes on to cool and to put the tiers on (each shelf holds up to 150lbs). We may not have a lot of space, but we make it work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%