Purchase This And You'll Always Have Milk On Hand

Decorating By vww104 Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 12:38am by cylstrial

vww104 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 22

You can buy quarts of whole milk in "juice box" type containers. My supermarket carries the Borden brand in a red box. They have a good long shelf life and will last a good long while in the fridge once opened. You will always have milk on hand and will not waste money by having your milk spoil. I love them.

I hope this helps someone...

Happy New Year!!

21 replies
ibmoser Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 22

And here I was, expecting you to tell us to buy a cow icon_lol.gif . I, too, keep the "boxed" whole milk in my pantry - better than reconstituted evaporated any day thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 22

I'm with ya!!!! My DH and I order from Angel Food Ministries sometimes and they give you milk like that, I had never seen it before and thought.....yuck, I'll never use that!!!

Then one day, you guess it.......ran out of milk. Was making mashed potatoes and thought.....oh why not!

Then put it in the fridge, next morning kids are eating breakfast and I look and say "hey where did you get that milk?" In the fridge they said..............eeewww I said, does it taste funny?? They all looked at me and said IS IT ROTTEN?/

I was like.....nooooooooooo, but it's like canned milk. My 10 yr. old forced me to taste his cereal and it tastes exactlly like MILK!

who knew????//

Since then i have found all sorts of uses, we camp in the summer time and it's so nice to bring like 6 of these and only have to stick 1 at a time in the cooler and yet we have milk for days and days without worries of it spoiling!

And..............i buy it at Big lots (I get the 2% because that's what they have) it's in a blue box and it's by Borden as well and it's only $1 for a quart!

ibmoser Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 22

Big Lots?!?!? Wow - that's worth a trip! Thanks!

cylstrial Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 22

Hmm...I had no idea about this. Good to know! Thanks!

So you just keep it at room temperature until you open it?

KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 22

yep, it's sealed up just like a juice box or like the 1 qt. containers of chicken stock. It has a little flip top plastic lid and a piece of foil you peel back to open it...then into the fridge it goes!

janelwaters Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 22

I get organic chocolate milk for my daughter like that (the kind they sell at Starbucks).

At first I thought - EWWWWWW - why isn't it cold!

Then I took my food handlers class and learned that its Heat Pasturized - I guess the pasturization process is done under heat instead of cold so that it can be kept at room temp. and lasts forever! AND IT TASTES GOOD!!!!

that stuff is awesome - BUT, if you are just weirded out by the idea, just by organic milk (regular, cold) the expiration dates on them are forever off. The one that I have in the fridge now I got at least a week before Christmas and doesn't go bad until January 20th. And organic milk tastes so much better than regular!!

KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 22

see my problem is that once the milk is IN the fridge.......my 3 kids attack it like it's oxygen!!! LOL

So I love being able to tuck a couple quarts in the back of the pantry for those times when the little piggies have sucked it all down! lol

milkmaid42 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 22

My ex-husband and I were stationed in Germany back in the 70's. My first visit to the store was a revelation to me. I wondered how in the world they could keep milk on the shelves vs a refrigerator I was accustomed to. I was fearful at first to buy it, but looked at all the locals enjoying it with no side effects and so... It was the darn handiest thing to keep in the pantry and indespensible to take on picnics with young children. It was one of the things I really missed when we returned to the States. Several years later I found it here but by then I had a small farm and my own cow. It is great stuff.

mariela_ms Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 22

Actually it is very VERY common in Mexico. They have all kinds of milk like that. Whole milk, low fat, even lactose free and lactose free light. It tastes exactly the same! We live on the border so any chance my mom gets to go to mexico she buys the lactose free light. It's good, cheap, and lasts!

Mike1394 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 22

Yeah it's super duper ultra pasteurized. I think it's heated to like 235 for a few seconds. This is what makes it shelf stable.

For applications like baking, cooking it's fine. For drinking I think yuck LOL

Mike

millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

My ex-husband and I were stationed in Germany back in the 70's. My first visit to the store was a revelation to me. I wondered how in the world they could keep milk on the shelves vs a refrigerator I was accustomed to. I was fearful at first to buy it, but looked at all the locals enjoying it with no side effects and so... It was the darn handiest thing to keep in the pantry and indespensible to take on picnics with young children. It was one of the things I really missed when we returned to the States. Several years later I found it here but by then I had a small farm and my own cow. It is great stuff.

We also lived in Germany in the late 70's (actually '78-'80). I was a kid, my dad worked for the gov't there. We got that milk too. In fact that's the first thing I thought of when I started reading this post! icon_smile.gif

What part of MO is that (where you are now?) We are in KC!

cakesbycathy Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 22

I saw the subject line too and thought "gosh who bought a cow?" icon_biggrin.gif

The boxes of milk are in the Angel food packages we order each month. I do find that since we usually drink skim, it does taste a little different. They do really come in handy though.

sweetpea223 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #14 of 22

I don't see Borden here but I use the Parmalat. It really is great because there are times that the recipe only calls for a cup of milk and those tetrabricks(as we call those kind of packagings) are 1 1/4" cups total. So it's very convenient.

milkmaid42 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 22

Hi, millermom...where were you in Germany? I was in Bitburg '76-79 and just loved it. I now live in Bay which is midway between Hermann and Owensville. (Hermann has quite a German background and my neighbor is a German national. If fact, I depend upon her to help me load my cakes into the car for delivery.) I am quite out in the country and couldn't be happier. Absolutely love Missouri. I haven't been able to see too much of MO, other than around my area.
Like you, the milk brought back a flood of memories. Boy, it was good, almost as good as my own cow's.

FromScratch Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 22

They have the Parmalat here too. It's good to send over seas. I buy the Horizon Organic Chcolate Milk all the time for my son's lunches. He loves it.

I've never tried the Parmalat, but might be trying it now. icon_smile.gif

millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 22

milkmaid,

We were in Garmisch Partenkirchen. I know, I know, really tough! icon_wink.gif

My husband started kindergarten in Bitburg, and my SIL was born there! They had probably left by '76; he would have been in Kdgn in '74.

Small world!

My other SIL went back there to teach for DoDDs a few years ago, and just flew my DD over for Christmas. I am SO jealous! They even spent a night in Garmisch, and she called my from the top of the Zugspitze! She'll be home tomorrow. Can't wait to hear more about her trip! icon_smile.gif

jodibug0975 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #18 of 22

milkmaid42.... you are only about an hour from me! I am in Jefferson City.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:12pm
post #19 of 22

That type of box is called aseptic packaging.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aseptic_processing

Check you local recycling info, you may be able to recycle those boxes (as well as juice boxes). We can in my town.

FromScratch, We like to buy the Horizon organic milk boxes for my daughter too. They're so easy to just grab and they have the straw right with them. Starbucks also has those for the kids.

7yyrt Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #20 of 22

Never seen them, where would they be in the store?
How expensive are they?

Doug Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:00pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Never seen them, where would they be in the store?
How expensive are they?

often in same area as canned and powdered milk (baking aisle at my wallyworld)

cylstrial Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yep, it's sealed up just like a juice box or like the 1 qt. containers of chicken stock. It has a little flip top plastic lid and a piece of foil you peel back to open it...then into the fridge it goes!

Thanks Tina! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%