Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By Fishnmama Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 7:54am by rblee

Fishnmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishnmama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone out there heard of Free Cakes For Kids? They provide free birthday cakes for needy children. I am looking for information on how to start a chapter in the St. Louis area.....any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

12 replies
mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 13

The website is down right now, but if you keep checking back, you will see who you need to email in order to receive your application through email. The website is freecakesforkids.com

mim1106 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 13

Ok, I found it in my saved mail... email [email protected] and tell her you are interested!

mim1106 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 13

Ok, I found it in my saved mail... email [email protected] and tell her you are interested!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 13

you could always start something like that up on your own!

I started "Cakes for Christ" offering free cakes to kids 18 and under for families that can't afford to purchase a cake, and I also give them information on receiving Jesus Christ.

So far I've had 12 other ladies with their own cake business in the u.s. and 1 in Australia hop on board and offer them where they live as well.

You don't have to be part of an organization to help people out!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 13

How are you going to screen who is "needy"? I know I've worked in DSS for 20 years (retired) and you need to be careful. Did you know that 90% of people on Christmas Angel trees are on EVERY Angel Tree that is offered in the area, and usually receive gifts for them and their kids from 3 or 4 benefactors?

The elderly or disabled are often the truly needy ones. I'm just curious as to how you screen who is needy. Another idea could be kids and older people in the hospital. The elderly REALLY appreciate anything they get and they show their appreciation. Often times they are left out.

KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 13

I don't screen them!!!! That's the beauty of it...............if they are trying to take advantage then they CERTAINLY need Jesus in their lives and the $5.00 spent on the cake is worth saving someone's soul to me!

That's why what I'm doing is so meaningful........it's not about the cake, it's about the people!

You see, I use the cakes as an opportunity to reach people. God gave me this talent and I want to use this talent to Honor Him in return and this was the way I came up with to do it!

I accept as many orders as I can handle per month and they are done on a first come first serve basis, no weeding out necessary.

I have something to the affect of " There is no income verification required, if you are applying we trust that you are truly in need" on my website and so far from what I can tell........the people applying are definitely experiencing some rough times financially. I deliver the cakes to their homes and talk with them about the Gospel.

They acknowledge that I'm leaving them with literature on receiving Christ and that I will be speaking with them about it. I also provide Bibles to these homes if they don't currently own one.

I think I've been more blessed by these cakes then the people receiving them, whether they could have afforded them or not!

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 6:02am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I think I've been more blessed by these cakes then the people receiving them, whether they could have afforded them or not!

OK, I get what you doing then! I wasn't thinking of saving their souls I was thinking of saving them $..lol..and who would appreciate it and who might not! Sorry. I hope doing that is everything you hoped it be!

KHalstead Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 13

I guess with just giving cake to kids, you may need to screen a little more........just for me personally...there is no screening needed. I would welcome a C4C order from Anyone regardless of whether or not they can truly afford the cake (in my case, that's doesn't matter)

Granted, that's the group I intended to reach out to....the poor and struggling, but if some rich person wants to take advantage....by all means, place the order!

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

I guess with just giving cake to kids, you may need to screen a little more........just for me personally...there is no screening needed. I would welcome a C4C order from Anyone regardless of whether or not they can truly afford the cake (in my case, that's doesn't matter)

Granted, that's the group I intended to reach out to....the poor and struggling, but if some rich person wants to take advantage....by all means, place the order!

What a great outlook you have!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 13

Before you commit to opening a chapter CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT!

I did in January of last year, got the ok and then out of no where in October I was contacted by them to stop all operations immediately as I was working outside of code and the law.

There were things we were not doing properly which could have resulted in serious fines.

If they give you a verbal ok, get it followed up IN WRITING.

I'm now working with both the state and Dpt. of Ag to try to get back up and running and since the state is miffed over the fact I was given a written ok with out the specific guidelines to follow that were needed they may not allow me to reopen our chapter. icon_mad.gif

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

you could always start something like that up on your own!

I started "Cakes for Christ" offering free cakes to kids 18 and under for families that can't afford to purchase a cake, and I also give them information on receiving Jesus Christ.

So far I've had 12 other ladies with their own cake business in the u.s. and 1 in Australia hop on board and offer them where they live as well.

You don't have to be part of an organization to help people out!

I love this idea!!

rblee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rblee Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:54am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnmama

Has anyone out there heard of Free Cakes For Kids? They provide free birthday cakes for needy children. I am looking for information on how to start a chapter in the St. Louis area.....any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

http://freecakesforkidsstl.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

or, this, without the spaces:
http:// freecakesforkidsstl. web. officelive. com/ default. aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%