New Kitchenaid!?

Decorating By loopilu Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm by Donnagardner

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 27

Hi,

was exstatic this morning havin recieved my new KA, Only since reading some negative reviews am wondering if I bought the right mixer? I thought they were known to last and work very well?

Anyone think I should send it back and change it for another make?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

26 replies
cakesbywendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbywendy Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 27

I really like mine. I use it a lot not only for mixing cakes and making fondant. I'm big in making doughs for breads and pizza. It does amazing! I have gone through two other brands until I got my KA. It has not shown any wear and tear and I've had it for sometime now!

Good luck with making your choice!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 27

i LOVE mine! I actually have 2! I have the 5 quart and the 6 quart. I use mine for absolutely everything and wouldn't dream of using anything else. I also have the KA pasta roller attachment and use it for my fondant/gumpaste. It's amazing!!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 27

I have my original from 30 years ago as well as a 6qt I bought last year. the gear problems people were talking about have long since been fixed by the company. I've never had a single problem with either of mine.

loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 27

wow, thats so good to hear. I have been starring at it and smiling all day! I dont want to send her back lol

What does the 5quart, 6 quart thing mean? Mine cost around £350 pounds and is an artisan mixer, 5k45ss, is that good? I should hope so for that much money lol icon_lol.gif

loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 27

actually, take that back it is model 5ksm150ps. I didnt realise there were variations

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 27

I just got an artisan too! =) KitchenAid mixers vary with the bowl size (quart sizes) and power of the motor. Artisan is right towards the top. =) Just make sure to use it at least once a month. My last one, I bought from my sister-in-law. She apparently didn't use it much, and it had an oil leak. After researching, I found that an oil leak is a common malfunction if not used regularly. And the guy said it costs $150.00 to fix. But I think most of us on here probably have no problems with using our mixers once a month. =) And I'm sure that it doesn't happen very often even when people don't use them. I loved my last kitchenaid, even with the oil leak. Now I adore my new one with no oil leak. I don't think I could trust another brand! thumbs_up.gif

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 27

We've had 5 of them, the first purchased in the late 60's , all used in our cake/caterig business (real workouts). Since retiring I've kept the 6 qt and given the others to family members. Happy to report all of them are still going strong, none have ever needed repair.
I had a Viking 7 qt. (got it as a gift after retirement) and it lasted just over a year.
We're a KitchenAid family all the way.
Enjoy your new "toy"!

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 27

I've had my 5 quart KA for about 12 years now, I love it. If someone gifted me with another KA, I would definitely keep it!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 27

Grew up with a KA in the household...and I remember once that a thief came into the house and stole one of my mom's KA but dropped it before he was able to jump out of the fence...and it still worked after that. Then I decided later in life that I needed a mixer and KA was the only thing I had in my head to purchase...bought a 5qt when it just came out, a bit pricey at that time but am happy with it. I guess I've had it for 10 yrs now

Nice to know that the oil leak was just due to not using it frequently...it doesn't really bother me, the mixer is still working. Come to think of it, when I use it, there is less oil that I find...Thanks KateLS for the info.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 27

You're welcome! I'm glad I could pass the info on!

Happy New Year!

=)

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #12 of 27

a wonderful, burly machine!

JasonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonR Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #13 of 27

I've had mine for about 11 years now without any problems! Odds are that yours will be fine too.

jodiebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodiebelle Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #14 of 27

I have two KA and I have never had any problems. icon_biggrin.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:33am
post #15 of 27

Keep it!!! There will be bad reviews no matter what you get but the good always out number the bad with these mixers, I would take another in a heartbeat(saving for a "pro" model actually). LOVE KITCHENAID!!!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 5:10am
post #16 of 27

I'd keep it. I am a die-hard kitchenAid fan...I think that they are worth their weight in gold! I've owned an artisan 5QT and now have the Pro600 and I have never had any problems.

Congrats on your purchase icon_smile.gif

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 5:35am
post #17 of 27

I have owned my KA since 1991. It has paid for itself over and over! I looooove my KA!
Congrats on your new toy! icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:31am
post #18 of 27

My mom has a Classic (about 10 years old). She hasn't used it much; I've mostly been the one to use it over the last 5 years since I moved in with the folks (went back to college full time). I am not terribly impressed with the overall durability; knobs have fallen off, some other assorted minor issues. I've worked in/around restaurants for years, and far prefer the more heavy duty models. If you have the option, I would definately get a Pro 500 or 600 series if you can. The Artisan model is also a good option.

I put a Pro 600 on my Christmas wish list this year, and got it icon_smile.gif There's a reason I'm marrying that man (it didn't hurt that I pointed out that it was only $249 on Cyber Monday on Amazon)

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #19 of 27

Keep it! You'll fall in love!!! I've never had any issues with them!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:00am
post #20 of 27

I love my KA - the only thing I would like would be a bigger bowl, it's old, and works great. I'm getting ready to order a new knob for the part where you put attachments, and a new plastic cover for the bowl, but plastic gets brittle after 20 years! I especially love that no matter how old the KA is, you can still replace things like knobs and lids!

KLUlover12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLUlover12 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:40am
post #21 of 27

i just got a kitchen aid for christmas this year and im loving it. did 2 cakes already. very very excited. so i would keep it

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #22 of 27

I have 2 of the KA hand mixers....LOVE THEM. I had a 3 speed and my DH got me a gift certificate for Sur La Table and I got a new 9 speed that was on sale icon_biggrin.gif Purrs like a kitten.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #23 of 27

LUV mine!

Jen icon_smile.gif

loopilu Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:27pm
post #24 of 27

Cheers everybody, I definately love her and she's a keeper! (I LOVE HER THAT MUCH i CAN'T BRING MY SELF TO CALL HER IT!) lol.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:17pm
post #25 of 27

I've had my KA for about 25years....LOVE IT every day. My mom had one and my grandmother had a huge old KA. So I guess that makes me a 3rd generation KA user! In addition to cake, frosting, fontant I mix bread, pizza dough and cookies...never a problem.

Enjoy yours!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #26 of 27

My husband got me an Artisan 5qt for Christmas!! I've only used it for one cake so far, but I can't wait to use it again. Its light years ahead of the 3qt Sunbeam mixer I'd been using. Yay KA icon_wink.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #27 of 27

Love my KA!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%