Fondant

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm by Uniqueask

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 4

I just finished Course III and made the two tier cake with fondant. As it was fun making it, I wasn't real pleased with the taste. My family said that they enjoyed it but to me it wasn't "real" cake. I'm sure that everyone is different but I would rather work in buttercream even though I can't seem to get mine smooth like fondant. Are there better brands of fondant out there other than Wilton and where can you buy it? I have to say fondant is easier to work with but I want more "cakey" tasting. Would love everyones opinion and thoughts, ideas, etc.

PS Do you think you can ship a fondant cake with limited damage?

Happy New Year party.gif

3 replies
loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 4

erm, I only use ordinary fondant, but have read a load of people prefer Marsmellow fondant because it has a better flavour. Here is a link to a recipe,(i hope it works!) icon_redface.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7529/ts-marshmallow-fondant

Maybe someone else can confirm that as a good alternative?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 4

I make Michelle Foster's fondant, the recipe I found on this site. It tastes good. It also freezes well. In a pinch, I used Satin Ice once, and that has a good flavor. I've seen where others also like Chocopan, but I haven't tried that one.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, Michele foster's Fondant, is very easy to make and tastes real good,
there is also Satin Ice, www.Globalsugarart.com sells it, there is fondarific, which has many different flavors, www.fondarific.com, But I just tried jennifer Dontz's semi homemade, which she sells the ingredients, and you have to put it together, she also sells great teaching dvd's her site is www.sugardelites.com she is also a member here, (JenniferMI) is her username, and to get your buttercream smooth try www.Sugaredproductions.com she also has great teaching dvd's and is also a member here, Sharon Zambito, username (SugarShack) and I am recommending them to you, because even though I took all the Wilton classes, I bought all of their dvd's and learned a great lot from them. Also Edna has som great gumpaste dvd's www.designmeacake.com, username on here, (tonedna)

ALSO CHECK MY SIGNATURE FOR GREAT RECIPIES AND TUTORIALS, GOOD LUCK

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%