Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm by Uniqueask

kaddikakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 4

I just finished Course III and made the two tier cake with fondant. As it was fun making it, I wasn't real pleased with the taste. My family said that they enjoyed it but to me it wasn't "real" cake. I'm sure that everyone is different but I would rather work in buttercream even though I can't seem to get mine smooth like fondant. Are there better brands of fondant out there other than Wilton and where can you buy it? I have to say fondant is easier to work with but I want more "cakey" tasting. Would love everyones opinion and thoughts, ideas, etc.

PS Do you think you can ship a fondant cake with limited damage?

Happy New Year party.gif

3 replies
loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 4

erm, I only use ordinary fondant, but have read a load of people prefer Marsmellow fondant because it has a better flavour. Here is a link to a recipe,(i hope it works!) icon_redface.gif

Maybe someone else can confirm that as a good alternative?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 4

I make Michelle Foster's fondant, the recipe I found on this site. It tastes good. It also freezes well. In a pinch, I used Satin Ice once, and that has a good flavor. I've seen where others also like Chocopan, but I haven't tried that one.

Uniqueask Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, Michele foster's Fondant, is very easy to make and tastes real good,
there is also Satin Ice, sells it, there is fondarific, which has many different flavors,, But I just tried jennifer Dontz's semi homemade, which she sells the ingredients, and you have to put it together, she also sells great teaching dvd's her site is she is also a member here, (JenniferMI) is her username, and to get your buttercream smooth try she also has great teaching dvd's and is also a member here, Sharon Zambito, username (SugarShack) and I am recommending them to you, because even though I took all the Wilton classes, I bought all of their dvd's and learned a great lot from them. Also Edna has som great gumpaste dvd's, username on here, (tonedna)

Quote by @%username% on %date%