:cry: Porsche 911 Turbo Car Help

Decorating By loopilu Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm by cylstrial

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:55am
post #1 of 14

Hi everybody.

I thought I was good at cakes and could do wot ever people wanted, that was untill this morning I was asked to make a porsche 911 turbo (car) cake?!?! thumbsdown.gif

I have not got the first clue how to make them amazing looking car cakes, the thought just baffels me.

Are there any tutorials that I have missed, or any help you could give me?

Would be HUGELY appreciated,

Thankyou icon_surprised.gif

13 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:14am
post #2 of 14

I didn't have a clue either when I was asked to do the F1 Ferrari (in my photos). My first step was to go to the Galleries here and search for pics of car cakes. Then I Googled it and studied lots of photos of the real car, thought about which were the 'iconic' details that had to be included and also what wouldn't be feasible as cake.
After that I sketched and thought about the size of the cake needed and the proportions. I ended up with a sketch that I turned into a template so when it came time to carve I laid my sketch over the cake and transferred the measurements etc. then it was all about the details.

HTH

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:26am
post #3 of 14

You could try the Wilton 3-D Cruiser pan and adapt it to your needs. I have it used in my pix and it is already a similar shape to the 911 all you need it to put the spoiler on the back and you're there.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:45am
post #4 of 14

I too have used the wilton 3D car pan for cakes. It is easy to cover with fondant and can be modified by a little carving but the basic shape is there.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 14

Thank u every one.

And flourpots, cheers for the links, they will defo help alot. icon_biggrin.gif

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 14

I would highly recommend buying Mike McCrary's DVD on carving the Mustang. His technique applies to all car carvings. Great info.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 14

Ditto on the Mike McCrary DVD. It is loaded with info.

loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 14

thankyou, i have searched the net, can't find that dvd?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 14

mike mccary's main site:
http://www.mikesamazingcakes.com/
it's the option in the lower left corner

the dvd site (a bit bare bones)
http://www.cakenology.com/

loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

OOH THANKS DOUG!! icon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 14

I just did my first "shaped" car a few weeks ago. I started with the Wilton cruiser pan and loved the ease of the process and the final result.

I baked a sour cream marble pound cake, carved away in some places and built up using cake spackle (cake crumbs mixed with buttercream) to build up others. I iced in white chocolate ganache and covered in fondant.
Best of all, I had very, very little waste on the cake.

The rear spoiler was a piece of cut away windshield, held in the cake with 2 thin coffee stirrers.

Have fun!
Rae
LL

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 14

I've seen a CC member using pam spray on fondant on a jersey cake. It has a very shiny effect. may be you can use that technique to get your Ferrari shiny. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I just did my first "shaped" car a few weeks ago. I started with the Wilton cruiser pan and loved the ease of the process and the final result.

I baked a sour cream marble pound cake, carved away in some places and built up using cake spackle (cake crumbs mixed with buttercream) to build up others. I iced in white chocolate ganache and covered in fondant.
Best of all, I had very, very little waste on the cake.

The rear spoiler was a piece of cut away windshield, held in the cake with 2 thin coffee stirrers.

Have fun!
Rae

Oh my gosh Rae! Your cake turned out fantastic!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%