Need Your Help Fellow Cake People

Decorating By mygirlssweet Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 2:35am by mygirlssweet

mygirlssweet Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 11

I have a cake job coming up in Jan. It will be a topsy turvy cake with three regular rounds (8", 10" & 12") and tilted with two wedges (4" & 6"). The 10" is the only part that will be actual cake. Everything is fondant covered and there will be curly cues, balls, etc. on the top and on the wide part of the wedges on wires to fill the gaps. The 8" and 12" will be decorated with circles in two colors and the 10"(cake) will have 5 edible pictures around it with a little decoration (this alone is $50). My problem, I have now idea what to charge. As far as I can figure it will cost me about $150 - 190 just cost ($60 for chocolate fondant...I live where there is only one store to shop at). What would you charge?

10 replies
artscallion Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 11

Figure out how many total hours you will need to actually work on this, including shopping, baking, planning, making fondant, cutting out final application of decorations. Decide how much you deserve, per hour for your skills. Multiply and add your costs (supplies, ingredients, overhead) and any delivery fees to the top of that.

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 11

You have a cake order next month and don't know what to charge? Do you even know what their budget is? This cake is not going to be cheap and you may want to find out now, what their budget is.

mygirlssweet Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:10am
post #4 of 11

They are good friends and she says that it doesn't really matter what it costs as her sister is paying for it. I want to be fair but still make a little profit for my time and work. I guessed it at about $350 but I am afraid it is too much.

alliebear Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:22am
post #5 of 11

Well whatever the price.. u might want to just inform them to prevent a payment issue as some people tend to think cakes cost nothing.. which we all know to be false...

Mike1394 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:50am
post #6 of 11

kakeladi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 11

Charge as if it was ALL cake.
As you are discovering it is NOT cheap to make dummy cakes.

indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlssweet

They are good friends and she says that it doesn't really matter what it costs as her sister is paying for it. I want to be fair but still make a little profit for my time and work. I guessed it at about $350 but I am afraid it is too much.

uh-oh. This is trouble.

First, they're getting it from a home person, so they think it will be cheaper. Second, most of it is fake cake, so they think there shouldn't be any cost or any charge for that. Third, they probably don't buy custom cakes very often and they think this MIGHT be a little more than a $16.99 grocery store cake.

When they say "it doesn't matter" ...... it matters.

How to cure that? When they say "Oh it doesn't matter!", then you QUICKLY reply "Oh I had no idea she was planning on spending $1000 on a cake. That's great!" You'll be AMAZED at how quickly they backpedal and suddenly "it matters".

KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 11

I would say something like this

" I've figured out how much it will cost me to make this cake and it's going to be somewhere around $200.00 in supplies and then I figure it will take me at least 50 hrs. to complete, so I was thinking $350 for your total, this will give me $3.00/hr. in wages for my time..............normally I charge $10/hr. but since you guys are good friends I figured I'd give you a heck of a deal!!!"

This way they will understand how little you're ACTUALLY making on the deal!

also, make sure when you figured up your costs that you added in the cost of the dummies themselves too........they're not always cheap!

jillmakescakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 11

Also, when it comes to dummies, it isn't always that the dummies themselves cost more, its the shipping that kills you!

mygirlssweet Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #11 of 11

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%