How To Make Plaque Look Like Popping Out Of Fondant Cake

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm by sadsmile

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 4

I will be making a birthday cake with an edible image plaque of the birthday girl holding her arms up to look like she is popping out of her cake. What is your advise as to the best way to fold back the fondant to look like the cake is bursting open? I need step by step please! ANy help is appreciated. Specifically, do I cover the cake first then put a second layer of fondant that I can score and cut open or is one enough. Do I score and cut before or after it's on the cake? Help!

3 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 4

BUMP! wish i could help

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

here is what I would do. I would cut a circle of fondant out and put it on top of the cake....if you're doing an 8" round cake...maybe cut a 4" circle. Then roll out your fondant to cover the cake...cut an X into the center, then put it on the cake and smooth like normal. Then open up the X....you'll have the circl of fondant under there to protect the cake from drying and then you can fold back the edges of the cut X and put the plaque in the center.

Seems doable right? lol

I would roll the circle for the center very thin...maybe even roll the edges paper thin so that you don't see it underneath your main piece of fondant HTH

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 4

Do it carefully after it's on the cake and peal back the triangle cut outs and then place your figure and plaque in the middle. Sounds great!.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%