Cake Decorating As A Business ?

Business By Shepsit Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 9:07am by Shepsit

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

First of all I have to mention that I'm completely a newbie about cake decorating. I made couple of cakes by learning from internet icon_smile.gif

I have an illness which needs a 2 year treatment and I had to quit my job because of this. Maybe it is the time and a chance for me to start cake decorating business from my home which was a dream for me.

I know I need to attend courses about this and I will. I also bought too many books about cake decorating. I would like to get your ideas about how to start to this business, what should I do first, etc.

I will also need a name for my business but all the names that I think of already has been taken. I don't want to use my name on my business name.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

3 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 4

First you have to check and see if it is even legal in your state to have a cake biz out of your home. If your state allows it then you contact your Health Dept. or Agriculture Dept. (different states are governed by one or the other of these) and find out what is necessary for you to become legal. Once legal then you can set out about finding your price point, advertising, website storefront, and supply issues. In the meantime practice, practice, practice to build up your portfolio. Good Luck and Welcome to CC!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 4

Here is a thread about states that license home bakers http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html
There is a great program that helps you with pricing called cake boss and never undercut your bakery in pricing.
Keep taking classes to help improve your technique.
Remember that it's alot of hard work.
Also indydebi gives alot of sound business advice, so look at her posts.
You also are going to need liability insurance and commercial auto.
Be organized and have a balance of home and work and don't neglect your health for if you don't have that then you won't have a business.
Don't do cakes that are of licensed characters unless you use the decopac kits ie grocery store cakes or you can get in alot of trouble.

As far as names I can't help you there but maybe tie it in with your name or interests

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:07am
post #4 of 4

cakesdivine and cakeandpartygirl thank you so much for your interest and your valuable comments. I really appreciate your help.
I guess I will post too many messages to CC in the future icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%