Licensed Vs Non Licensed Bakers- Insurance - I Need To Vent!

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 11:56pm by JanH

kerri729 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 7

So I have been doing cakes for about 15 years, and have never done them for profit, only as gifts to friends and family or donations for church and school functions. I did my own wedding cake in a local venue back in 2006, and now am doing my very first wedding cake for some one else (a dear friend) in a larger town.

The reception hall has given me a document stating the I will claim liability if anyone gets ill from my cake icon_surprised.gif , which I completely understand. My problem is my dh is throwing a fit- he hates the cake projects I do, because I get a little stressed, and he always asks me "what if someone gets sick, we could lose our house!" icon_eek.gif ............

I know it's a liability, but we could get sued either way, legal or not. I have a full time job and would not enjoy decorating if I had to do it for a living. I am mainly just venting, because he told me after this one, no more cakes icon_cry.gif .......

anyone have horror stories on people getting sick from cake and getting sued over it? icon_confused.gif

6 replies
Babarooskie Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

Oh Kerri-

The can of worms you just opened icon_sad.gif
I've had a few incidents where I stated I am not licensed and to this day I'm still searching for pieces of my head they chewed off!!

I wish I can give you some support, words of acknowledgement and some compliments. Truth of the matter is that I am choosing my words much more carefully now. I completely understand how you feel; only difference is that I do want to do cakes and pastries for a living.
However, as I've said plenty of times- to each their own.

Have a good one!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

dupl post ... see add'l responses under

CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 7

kerri729 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 7

I am not sure what happened, but this posted twice, and I can't get rid of it- sorry to confuse anyone!

Babarooskie Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

JanH Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 7

Please continue discussion in other thread:

Quote by @%username% on %date%