How Do You Handle Complaints?

Decorating By Jcake2 Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm by MrsMabe

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:56pm
post #31 of 33

When I worked in cord manufacturing, there was a train of thought that if it didnt' affect "form fit or function" then there was no problem. For example, if they ordered their cord in light grey and it was made in dark gray, the company wouldn't remake it because the cord still worked....color didn't affect whether the drill or the sweeper functioned or not.

I disagreed with this. I finally told the engineering VP, "If you ordered a brand new car and you wanted it white with red interior ..... but they delivered a red car with white interior, you'd be pi$$ed and you wouldn't accept the car. Now the color issue didn't affect form, fit or function but YOU wouldnt' accept delivery of the car."

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:27pm
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

It's unlikely that the flavor issue would even be discovered before the cake was served, unless it happens to be the tier the bride & groom cut ceremoniously. The bride would be otherwise occupied while the cake was in the back being cut and served. She wouldn't even know anything was wrong until people were already eating it and she might happen to notice the lack of pink cake. At that point, you can't expect her to take the servings away from her guests.

In my opinion. since there was no way she could have prevented the cake from being eaten, there is no way you can hold her responsible for any value derived from that.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Did the OP inform the person taking receipt of the cake of the mix-up before it was served? If not, they essentially didn't have the opportunity to refuse the cake.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #33 of 33

Here's my take on it:

Part of the price for that tier was for the decoration and frosting. Those were correct. Why refund the part that was correct? And like others said, the cake was perfectly edible. Just the wrong flavor. 75% would be the MOST I would give.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%