Tiffany Box Cake

Decorating By Irish245 Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 12:53am by Irish245

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 5

Can anyone explain to me how to make a box with a lid that is tilted? How do you make the lid? How do I tilt it on the cake? Help???

4 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:33am
post #2 of 5

Do the bottom of the cake like any other cake. Then I use a 1" thick piece of foamcore board cut to the size you want the lid to be. Put pipping gel on all 4 edges and the top. Thin coat will do. Then put your fondant on it and trim of all 4 sides. I do not put fondant on the botoom of the lid. Then I put a few skewers in the cake to hold the lid at a tilt. Can even put the skewers a little into bottom of lid to hold secure.

If you have more time you can make a gumpaste lid on the bottom of the pan you made the cake in. Just make sure to use a lot of crisco so you can get it off pan.

When dry enough take off pan and let underside dry a little more.

Hope this helps
nancy

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 5

I far from a pro on this. But I have Sharon Zambino's DVD on making boxes and bows. There's different ways. If you look at my cakes - I did my Tiffany box cake, by makind the lid out of gumpaste on the pan that I was making the cake in - this way it fits perfectly and you can either have a closed box or put the lid on the way you seem to want to do. I hope this helps.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 5

Yes - Sharon's DVD is awesome. Elisa Strauss's second book, Confetti Cakes for Kids, has instructions for making a neat box with a single layer of cake for the lid, propped open with tissue peeping out. You may be able to borrow the book from your library or go to a book store and read it there.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone! Huge help!!!! Now I'm psyched to do it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%