Angel Food Cake/food Poisoning?

Decorating By cjcakie Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm by JustToEatCake

cjcakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjcakie Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 9

Can you get food poisoning from an angel food cake? I made an angel food cake with fresh eggs and now my friends daughter is sick. Could it be from my cake? Wouldn't baking kill any bacteria? Please tell me I didn't try to kill someone!?!

8 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 9

Please read up on egg safety. Why are people scared sh*tless about eggs?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 9

Angel food cakes are not considered a potentially hazardous food by the health department. If someone is sick it is highly unlikely to be from the cake, unless you rubbed your hands all over the egg shells or touched raw eggs then rubbed your hands all over the baked cake.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #4 of 9

the only way that cake would make anyone sick is from cross contamination, ie; as stated above, you would need to take a contaminated instrument( such as a knife that you cut raw chicken with, don't wash it, then cut your baked cake with it and serve it on plate that just had a raw hamburger on it) Trust me, that kid did not get sick from your angel food cake.

Rest Easy

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 9

odds are its a virus or the child did not wash hands properly. People are right to be cautious about eggs, they make people sick today more than when I was a kid, thats for sure. But I agree it was probably something else.

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 9

One question, is she the only one that ate the cake? Because if anyone else ate it and did not get sick your in the clear. Just my opinion.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:26am
post #7 of 9

good point helsbels!

yumcake06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumcake06 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 9

At least 2 people must become ill from eating the same foods, the only way they can get sick if you were not clean with your eggs, crack eggs, and wash hands. Also time temperature & time abuse is one way to make people sick leaving your egg whites out on the counter too long in too warm temperature.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Please read up on egg safety. Why are people scared sh*tless about eggs?

Eggs and chicken, because they can and do kill people with salmonella.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%