Topsy Turvy Mosaic Tile Cake Help

Decorating By ccc1234 Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 4:29am by DianeLM

ccc1234 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone Iam in need of some help on a topsy turvy mosaic cake. The client wants the base color to be brown and the tiles in gold. PLEASE help Ive never done a mosaic tile cake dnt know where to begin, Any suggestions on how to do the tiles will be appreciated. Thanks for looking

6 replies
MnSnow Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #2 of 7

The only ones I have ever seen done were all individually cut and hand painted. It's alot of work but so beautiful.

DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 7

<---- Looky there. Mosaic. icon_smile.gif

It's time consuming, but fairly easy. Are you planning to use gold luster dust? Or just gold tinted fondant? Either way, you'll want to tint your fondant gold before you paint with luster dust.

Roll out your fondant and paint it with luster dust. Start cutting miscellaneous shapes. Slap a few shapes onto the cake. Now, you need to kind of eyeball measure the rest of your pieces so they fit nicely.

You may want to practice on a dummy or just on the table, to get an idea of what will be necessary.

JGMB Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

Wow, what a gorgeous cake, Diane!!! Thanks for sharing the tip -- it never would've occurred to me that you could dust a whole sheet of fondant, then cut it out. I'd have spent hours cutting out and individually dusting the shapes!

DianeLM Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Wow, what a gorgeous cake, Diane!!! Thanks for sharing the tip -- it never would've occurred to me that you could dust a whole sheet of fondant, then cut it out. I'd have spent hours cutting out and individually dusting the shapes!

Thanks for nice compliment! I know what you mean about having that 'duh' moment. I usually have it when I'm already 3/4 of the way through a project. LOL

sadsmile Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #6 of 7

Diane I have admired that cake for some time! It is stunning.

Notice that there are at least 4 shades of tiles in there! It makes a huge difference. Also even spacing in between the tiles makes for a uniformed look.

DianeLM Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:29am
post #7 of 7

Thank you! I was pretty darned pleased with the way it turned out, if I do say so myself. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%