Someone Did A Elmo Using Teddy Bear Pan....

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm by Darth_Aerdna

madgeowens Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 11

I remember they said they cut the ears off. I was thinking of using rkt and the bear pan, do you think thats a good idea or no? anyone?

10 replies
madgeowens Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:18am
post #2 of 11

Also I was thinking of using butter cream intead of ri for elmo hair....is that an ok idea or bad idea???

chica07 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:41am
post #3 of 11

I did this, I baked the bear and cut his ears off. Then I used fondant for Elmo's eyes and nose and used a toothpick to hold it on to his head.

Hope this helps!

madgeowens Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 11

ah, I knew I read that. Would you do it that way if you did one again? I need to make an elmo cake for a little boy, and it needs to be spectacular. Also I have never been able to get red icing. I am going to try americolor this time. DO you think butter cream would work for his hair? I think the kids like the taste better.

cakesbywendy Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:30am
post #5 of 11

I used americolors red for my elmo and it turned out the right color and I also used a crusting BC and it worked out perfect for is fur!

leepat Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:48am
post #6 of 11

I did elmo the way you are planning. I added just a touch of orange to the red. I thought that looked a little more like elmo color than red red. I also used the grass tip to make his fur.

chica07 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 11

Madge,
I turned my white buttercream orange, then I added Americolor super red to it. I find that if you leave it overnight (or longer) the color intensifies.

I also used the grass tip with a stiffer buttercream to do his fur.

I did not crumb coat him, which I would do next time. Other than that, I would do it again, he turned out cute and everyone was impressed.

madgeowens Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 11

thanks so much, all of you!!!

daniassis Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 11

Hi, madgeowens

I made an Elmo cake last year and I think it turned out great. I used the bear pan, cut off the ears, used fondant to make eyes and nose, and the grass tip for the body. It wasn't too hard to make, but my wrists were tired after all the piping. Check out the picture of my Elmo cake:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbydanielli/page2/

kcassano Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 11

I did a 3-tier elmo cake too using bear pan. i cut off his snout and his ears, and made an arm out of a butterfinger (attached w/toothpick). eyes, nose, mouth fondant. used BC with star tip for fur...he really donesnt have "hair which is why i didnt use the grass tip. cookie monster...def grass tip, not so sure w/elmo tho.

here's my elmo cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1456318

Darth_Aerdna Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 11

I also made an Elmo out of the 3D bear pan.
I cut off the ears and ended up carving the head down a bit.-
Covered in crusting buttercream- Think I used the Americolor red.
I also added arms made of RKT.
The picture is in my photos.

I think he ended up looking like a criminal- I even ended up posing him as a mug shot.
Will have to add the picture of that sometime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%