Fondant Help

Decorating By rekenn Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 11:40am by rekenn

rekenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rekenn Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 7

How long after making fondant should I wait to use it?

I had success at first making MMF, but my last couple attempts the MMF was dry and kept tearing. I was unable to use it to cover a cake.

Last week I made Michele Foster's fondant (tasted great) and today I went to use it and it was tearing and it was dry. It could have dried out, by me taking so long to get it into a pliable mode.

I really like Foster's fondant, so I was wondering if I made the fondant and then maybe an hour or so later use it to cover a cake? I've notice right after making fondant at this stage it seems really workable/pliable. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 7

My experience has been you need to let it sit overnight.
Maybe if yours is tearing and seems dry you need to add a little crisco?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:07am
post #3 of 7

Did you add all of the ps called for in the recipe? You don't always need to add all of it. Next time leave some out. You can always add it the next day if the fondant is really sticky. If it is a bit sticky cover your hands with a bit of shortening and knead the fondant. It is easier to add more ps to firm up the fondant than to try to make a dry fondant more workable.

rekenn Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:01am
post #4 of 7

Ingalpal,
I did try the crisco, with no luck.

Dsilvest,
I did add all the ps, next time I wont and i will see how that works out for me.

Thanks guys!

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:34am
post #5 of 7

Hi Rekenn,

From my experience, I pop the fondant into the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds (5 most of the time but sometimes 10...definitely not more...but each one's micro works differently.) and zap it and roll it out immediatelt and cover the cake...the consistency is fabuluous to work with and I get no cracks and tears. When you take your ball of fondant out of the micro, grease your palms with some crisco and roll it into a nice smooth ball before rolling out.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:48am
post #6 of 7

I make MMF for pratcially all my fondant cakes and i read on here everyone saying to let it sit overnight etc but I find it best to use it straight away after I have made it as it is most pliable then and is not too soft nor does it rip etc if i get it just right firmness. For me if i let it sit overnight or longer no matter how much i wrap it, it is always that little bit dryer and is less pliable then the same day.

Anyways that is just me and jsut thought i would pop in my experience icon_smile.gif

rekenn Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:40am
post #7 of 7

Elise87,

Thanks, I think next time i will use it soon after to see how that works for me. I am glad to hear that it works for you, give me some hope.

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%