What Can I Sub For Sour Cream?

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for a friend whose son is allergic to milk products. She wants a white cake so I would like to use my scratch wasc recipe. She suggested subbing the regular milk for goat's milk (she said soy milk doesn't bake well; I've never tried it so I don't have any idea). But I'm not sure what to sub for the sour cream. Any thoughts?

7 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 8

They make non-dairy sour cream & yogurt---Silks Soy is one brand. you may have to go on a hunt, but my Kroger usually carries more vegan products. Or you can try organic groceries.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 8

Thanks. That is what I was thinking of trying but, having never used a soy product in a baked good, I wasn't sure how it would work. Have you tried this?? I just want to make sure the cake comes out the same. I may do a trial run tomorrow just to make sure.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 8

I would have suggested taking plain yogurt and putting it in cheese cloth and draining it (works beautifully in baked goods as a sour cream sub) but I'm not sure how she can take yogurt. Some people I know with lactose issues can have yogurt and some cannot.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I would have suggested taking plain yogurt and putting it in cheese cloth and draining it (works beautifully in baked goods as a sour cream sub) but I'm not sure how she can take yogurt. Some people I know with lactose issues can have yogurt and some cannot.

Unfortunately no yogurt! Too bad, as that would have been a good alternative.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #6 of 8

The book "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" has many great dairy-free cake recipes. The (non)dairy component I used in the last cake was a bit of vinegar mixed into soy milk. It causes the milk to curdle. Sounds gross, but works great.

I also used soy milk and (nondairy) Nucoa margarine in the buttercream.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:37am
post #7 of 8

I haven't tried it but found on a vegan website that said soymilk & soy yogurt/soy sour cream bake well (Tofutti being the recommended sour cream brand). If you use the soy milk make sure it has the fat in it. There are subs you can make w/ soy milk/vinegar combo (buttermilk) & add non-dairy butter to, but I think I'd go w/ soy yogurt before going to that trouble

And I use yogurt all the time in wasc w/out draining it so I don't think you should have a problem unless it's really runny

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for all of your ideas. My friend is leary of vegan sour cream in the cake because she says she doesn't like the taste of it. I am going to get some today and bake a wasc cake with goats milk and vegan sour cream and also do a yellow cake with goats milk and margarine. I'll let her see which one she likes best. If they are gross, then I'll know! It would be nice to have a dairy free recipe in my repetoire just in case someone else ever needs one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%