Any Ideas On How To Make A Gun Cake?

Decorating By Oklahomasweetie Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm by q2wheels

Oklahomasweetie Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 14

My bf is an avid gun enthusiast and i would like to make a cake to look like his handgun for his birthday. However, i have no idea where to start i took some sneaky pictures of it to have as a reference but other than i'm coming up blank. Any help would be appreciated.

13 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 14

I made one for my husband's birthday.

I made the gun from foamcore board covered with MMF and painted. The gun was a lot easier than drawing the circles on the target...I was still in a wheelchair when I made the cake and what looks like a circle from one side doesn't always from the other, if you can't just stand up and look at it from the top icon_biggrin.gif

I still have the template for the gun, which would work for any 1911 style, if that's what kind you were trying to make.

Oklahomasweetie Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 14

Actually the 1911 is the kind that i'm trying to make.

Your cake looks amazing btw!

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks!

I'll scan the template for you...I have to wait until DH wakes up because the scanner's in the bedroom and I don't want to bother him (he works 3rd shift so he sleeps all day). Anyhow, in a couple of hours I'll scan it and post it here icon_biggrin.gif

It would be really neat to make a cake that looked like a box, with an open lid to show the gun and a couple of spare magazines sitting inside.

My husband still has the gun from his cake, in a ziplock bag on my kitchen counter. When we have guests over they always think it's a real gun.

Oklahomasweetie Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 14

That is a really good idea. I love it. Thank you so much for the idea and for the template i appreciate it greatly!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 14

I'm sorry...I looked where I thought I had the template, and about 20 other places too, and I can't find it. I'm going to try to sweet-talk DH into drawing another one while he's at work tonight.

JustToEatCake Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 14
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Maybe this will help-
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/weapons/pistols/

You're a genius! That site is great.

(Now DH is kicking me off the computer so he can explore it icon_cry.gif )

babykonst Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 14

thanks soo much girls!! my dh has been bugging me to make a gun cake for him, ill surprise him for our anniversary with it!!! thanks again!!

Oklahomasweetie Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #10 of 14

Thanks so much for looking and thanks Justoeatcake for the link. Hopefully i can make this cake look decent.

I'll post pictures (either here or in the disaster forum, lol).

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #11 of 14

DH said to tell you that we cut three thicknesses of foamcore and glued them together. The ones on the sides were cut a tiny bit differently, to allow for the curve toward the front and also for the sights. You should only make a hammer on the middle one too. I don't remember the details myself...it was right after my accident and I was on some pretty serious meds.

Oklahomasweetie Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:52am
post #12 of 14

Your so helpful, thank you, and thank the DH for me too.

JustToEatCake Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Maybe this will help-
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/weapons/pistols/

You're a genius! That site is great.

(Now DH is kicking me off the computer so he can explore it icon_cry.gif )

I sowwy!

q2wheels Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 14

I did this one for a friend's son's birthday....the gun is cake:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%