Rolled Buttercream

Baking By ElderBaker Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 2:14am by millermom

ElderBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElderBaker Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

Saw a post mentioning rolled buttercream. What is it and how do I make it? Thanks.

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

There is a recipe in the recipe section on this site. It's good for modeling and covering cookies but hard to work with to cover a cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

I don't even consider Rolled bc food. It's like greasy fondant. blargh.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 9

I use a recipe on here called rolled buttercream fondant, it is pretty easy to make and work with. I love it for cookies, people go nuts for them.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 9

I like it for cookies. Keep it well chilled and add as much confectioner's sugar as possible.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 9

If you don't use a hi-ratio shortening (not necessarily one with trans fats) it will come out horrible and greasy. It's extremely easy to use, but you must use a vinyl to help cover your cake since it is very soft. It's repairable and you can flavor it with all sorts of yummy combos, I do a chocolate rbc with hazelnut lorann oil. Most of the cakes in my pics are RBC. Also great on cookies like the others said.

ElderBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElderBaker Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 9

Thanks to everyone who replied about the rolled buttercream. I am going to do some experimenting this weekend! Happy New Year to all!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 9

..moving to Recipe Requests. icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 9

The first time I made it, I used regular shortening, and it got greasy after a day, but the second time, I used hi ratio, and it never got greasy at all! I have put lemon extract in it as well, and that made a good flavor with sugar cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%