Rolled Buttercream

Baking By ElderBaker Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 2:14am by millermom

ElderBaker Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

Saw a post mentioning rolled buttercream. What is it and how do I make it? Thanks.

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

There is a recipe in the recipe section on this site. It's good for modeling and covering cookies but hard to work with to cover a cake.

leah_s Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

I don't even consider Rolled bc food. It's like greasy fondant. blargh.

BakeLoveMom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 9

I use a recipe on here called rolled buttercream fondant, it is pretty easy to make and work with. I love it for cookies, people go nuts for them.

Zamode Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 9

I like it for cookies. Keep it well chilled and add as much confectioner's sugar as possible.

sweetflowers Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 9

If you don't use a hi-ratio shortening (not necessarily one with trans fats) it will come out horrible and greasy. It's extremely easy to use, but you must use a vinyl to help cover your cake since it is very soft. It's repairable and you can flavor it with all sorts of yummy combos, I do a chocolate rbc with hazelnut lorann oil. Most of the cakes in my pics are RBC. Also great on cookies like the others said.

ElderBaker Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 9

Thanks to everyone who replied about the rolled buttercream. I am going to do some experimenting this weekend! Happy New Year to all!

JanH Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 9

..moving to Recipe Requests. icon_smile.gif

millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 9

The first time I made it, I used regular shortening, and it got greasy after a day, but the second time, I used hi ratio, and it never got greasy at all! I have put lemon extract in it as well, and that made a good flavor with sugar cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%