Fly A Cake To Utah?

Decorating By cakedout Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm by JanH

cakedout Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 9

I posted this in another board, but thought perhaps you gals might have more input for me!

I will be flying a 3-tier fondant cake out to Utah from Pennsylvania in late June...anyone with any experience with this-I'll take any/all the advice I can get! icon_lol.gif

At this point my plan is to pre-ship all my needed decorating tools out to our friends home; fly the fondant covered cake with us on the flight, then decorate once I am out there.

Any time I've ever taken a cake to ICES convention, I've always driven I don't know how all of these decorators get their creations on an airplane to go to conventions! icon_surprised.gif

Any suggestions?

8 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 9

no suggestions, but totally jealous. I so want to fly with a cake someday.

OOOhh, wait I do have a suggestion!!! Decopac sells these cake delivery cartons that would allow you an easy way to carry it. The sides fold open so you can just slide the cake in and out without them being exposed, so to speak.

Here's a pic:

lngo Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 9

I actually just flew to Indiana with a friend's graduation cake as my "personal item." This was 2 weeks before the Amsterdam/Detroit terrorist situation, so things might be a little tougher now.

When I checked through security, I passed my cake through the scanner with all the other carry-ons. My cake was smaller, so it fit under the seat in front of me. From what I've heard about the most recent flight rules, everything must be stored in the overhead now (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helps out some. Good luck and have a great flight!

KHalstead Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 9

I think you are correct about the overhead storage. My mom flew from S. Carolina to Ohio on Dec. 26, so after the whole recent terrorist thing and she had some snacks in her carry on and they made her ditch it, they said NO FOOD OR DRINKS PERIOD. She was given the choice to ditch it or pay $25.00 to check her bag...she ditched the snacks.

cakedout Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 9

Yeah, this whole latest terrorist thing may make it a bit harder for me...but who knows how things may change til June!?

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like I will continue to debate the idea of just packing the baked cakes, then decorate upon arrival.....hmmmmm.

morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #6 of 9

you know you could always take a chance and email one of these well-known cake artists and ask how they do it. I've email some before with questions and they are always willing to help. I know that sylvia weinstock ,mike mccarry, margaret braun fly their cakes often. As a matter of fact, Sylvia and Margaret always travel with their cakes. It's worth a try!!!

minicuppie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 9

I ask my flight attendant SIL and she you either store in the overhead or check it. My advice would be to send it Fed Ex. They handle shipments like this every day...

HarleyDee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 9

Hubby is a pilot, and his dad is a pilot at FedEx so here is his input.. (for the scenario of right now, like you said, who knows what will happen between now and June)

You get one personal item to bring on the plane. But it HAS to fit overhead for takeoff and landing. So even though you could hold it in your lap during flight, it would have to get put overhead for takeoff (anywhere from 10min-1hr) and for landing. And you know how small those spaces are.

Don't check it.. it would get destroyed. Seriously.

Don't FedEx or UPS a finished cake. Even though they're good at shipping, the box handlers have two nicknames.. gorillas and kickers. I'm sure you can guess why.

He said he would either drive it there himself, or just ship the layers (well packed, and ship extra ones just in case) and decorate it all on site.

That's just his advice icon_smile.gif

I know that some of the more famous cake decorators fly with their cakes, but they often make the client pay for an extra ticket so that the cake will sit in the seat next to them. That's another option.

JanH Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%