Need Help Making Fondant Buildings For A Cake

Sugar Work By Krazylion Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm by greengyrl26

Krazylion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krazylion Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 4

Ok so I am making my Nephews Batman cake, I got a lot of inspiration here on CC, but not many people speak about how they got the effects.
So I am making a 2 tier stacked cake, coveed in yellow buttercream, I will be lining the outside of both layers in fondant buildings, now I have to admit I have not worked with fondant so my question really is, will it stand up straight if I cut building shapes out? I am afraid the buildings will begin to droop or something, also does anyone have a better suggestion then fondant for making building shapes?

3 replies
greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 4

I would make the buildings out of fondant with Tylose mixed in (it helps it dry harder). Cut them out & place them around the outside your cake pan so they'll have the shape of your cake. Make them well in advance, they'll need at least a day (or more) to dry. HTH

Krazylion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krazylion Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

interesting, I have never heard of Tylose, how much should I put in?
I'm sure I can find it there is a really big baking supply warehouse in Manhattan. Thank you for your suggestion especialy about forming the fodant alongside the cake pan to take the shape. Great help, thank you

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

This gives a good explanation of how to use it. The brand I use is CK Products, but I don't really think it matters. That just happens to be the brand that my supply store carries! Good luck!
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17057&name=CAI%20Tylose%20Powder

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%