Do You Have Wedding/groom's Cake Packages????

Business By alvarezmom Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm by FromScratch

alvarezmom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 17

So I was browsing throught he web and came across a website (lovely cakes) and notice they offer Wedding/Grooms Cake packages for couples on a budget or who really dont care about the cake.

Does any one offer this? And if so what types (designs actually) of cakes?.

I thought this was a cool idea and wondered if anyone else does this.

Thanks

16 replies
cakedout Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 17

Hmmmm.....would be interesting to see the site and check this out. icon_confused.gif

alvarezmom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 17
_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 17

Information overload...ack!

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 17

Hmmm, interesting. There are a few people who do this. The designs they let you choose from are ones that, I'm assuming, they can produce quickly. It's seems like they are tryingt o make up for the economy, seeing as how their minimum is usually $650. I just wonder what cakes usually go for in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area, cause their budget prcing still seems a little high to me. I guess you would have to decide what price and what designs would work for you to offer this option.

CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 17

Nope, for the same reason I don't do sheet cakes.
I would rather spend my time making one 500$ cake then making ten 50$ cakes.
If someone wants a sheet cake or a cheap and fast wedding cake they can hoof it to Wally World.

cakesdivine Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 17

The thing that bothered me was their statement that a faux cake is almost always necessary icon_eek.gif Not so. Order the amount of cake you need, and if you are all about putting on aires, and trying to look like you aren't on a wally world budget with your wedding then by all means purchase a faux cake, but for a professional baker to say they are ever a necessity is irresponsible IMHO.

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

The thing that bothered me was their statement that a faux cake is almost always necessary icon_eek.gif Not so.

icon_eek.gif I missed that part! What a load of crap! I hope they are members here and see this...I'd love to hear an explanation, decorator to decorator. I have done 1 fake cake. One. And it was only two fake tiers out of the entire 3 tier setup. No wonder brides ask about sheetcakes and all that crap, information like this! Lovely! thumbsdown.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 17

Oh wait....Cakes, don't they mean for their designs a fake is necessary? I think that's what they meant. Not, in the grand scheme of caking the world over, is a fake cake necessary.

Don't want to jump to ridiculous conclusions... icon_lol.gif

CakeForte Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 17

I do...but only in two sizes, vanilla or chocolate with a choice of 1 of 3 fillings, online order only, no appointments, no changes, they choose from basic designs (scrolls, plain, dots, or ribbon).

I just started this this month...and have sold two so far. I haven't promoted it yet...these are just clients that found my site.

alvarezmom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 17

I'm in the Austin area. I have never called a bakery and asked what their prices were for wedding cakes so I am really not sure how much a slice goes for. I could look at websites as I'm sure they have a price for slices'.

I thought it was a cool idea for the ppl that are on a budget that still wanted a nice cake. The designs that are in the photo gallery are nice that I think they could even do for a much higher price (but that's just me).

I think this idea would be good for a beginner decorator who is just starting out to do something like this.

I am thinking of doing something like this so I could become more comfortable with wedding cakes.

jenmat Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 17

the discounted designs are pretty cool, and they probably make a killing this way. I've seen this quite a bit, but usually the designs are either really simple or old fashioned, and you get to choose either white or chocolate cake, and one type of icing. Looks like they do all arrangements via email, with a 5-10 minute consult. The pricing goes way up if you take up their time. I like that- making it clear that if you take up their time, you will pay for their time. Nice.
However, their 50 serving cake is $5.90/$7.40 per serving WITHOUT a tasting first, and that's their discount? Good for them.

alvarezmom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 17

Ok so I looked at a couple of websites (ones that actually have their base prices). So for BC (with basic (which could be left up to the decorator) patterns/swirls it is $2.75-$3.50 per slice (and that is with filling). And for Fondant or Martha Stewart (I liked this description) they range from $4.00-$.00 per slice.

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 17

I did a $99 wedding cake special for a few months........basically I had a couple brides that were going to just order sheet cakes for their weddings because that's all they could afford and they were more concerned with the taste of the cake, so Wall world wasn't an option for them.

I offered a 6",8",10" rounds stacked white, yellow, chocolate, and I had several designs they could choose from....they could do a "tasting" for $25.00 and the cake had to be paid in full upon ordering and that was it.

I sold several of them.....I only offered it for a few months and set a date that they had to be booked and paid by in order to get this deal. It didn't catch on as big as I thought it would though.........you'd think people would JUMP at the chance to have a cake to serve 65 people for under $100! Oh well! Now that cake costs almost $200.00 with sps plates and set up from me now.

alvarezmom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 17

CakeForte-what size cakes are you offering for your package? Are you also including a groom's cake or is it just the wedding cake?

KHalstead-What kind of filling did you do? What you were offering sounds like a pretty good deal IMHO. Are any of the pictures in your gallery of the wedding cakes you did for $99?

PennieK Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #16 of 17

Mmmmm.... this seems a little weird to me. Their 50 guest package includes a 54 serving bridal cake AND a 40 serving grooms cake. Thats a total of 94 servings for $295(3.13/slice). Thats seems like a lot of cake to me. Almost every guest will get two slices. The serving price goes down with the larger packages the 175 guest package comes to $2.43/slice.

FromScratch Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #17 of 17

I have a budget bride option, but I don't list it on my site. I have 3 designs that I offer. They are party cakes on the inside so not torted and only available in chocolate or vanilla cake with vanilla bean BC for the filling. The designs are simple... one has just fondant ribbon at the base, one has fondant circles on the side with a pearl border, and one has a thin fondnt ribbon border with simple cut out fondant flowers going up one side (just flat flowers and only 5 of them going up each tier). They are super simple for me to do, and take no time at all. I sell them at the party cake price and there is no tasting. Just tell me what color you want the accents to be and I will deliver it to your venue (delivery is extra). I don't have a limit on the size since it's just as easy to do it as a 14" as it is to do an 8" so I don't care. Saves me the time for the tasting and consult. I do have a $100 minimum order onall cakes though. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%