Decorating By according2emma Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm by ashleyisawesome

according2emma Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif Hi i'm new and want to learn much more about cake decorating. I seem to have inherited my mum's natural talent for cooking and baking. The picci I have submitted doesn't do the cake justice and by the time I uploaded it my family had already begun eating it! I am really good at butter icing but haven't had much luck in painting fondant. I have now bought gel paint instead of the watery stuff sold to us that know no better and really enjoy working with the gel! I have looked up some recipes already and can't wait to try them for my son's birthday cake! His birthday is new year's eve but we are having the party 9th Jan.

9 replies
JenniferMI Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC! This is a great place to learn!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakesbywendy Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 10

Hi according2emma!

I'm new to decorating also. My passion is baking love it! So I thought I would learn how to decorate! Started to decorate about 6 months ago and love it!! It's now my passion!!

CC is awesome website to find advice and to look for ideas!

alene Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 10

Welcome to CC according2emma and slice-of-heaven! Glad to have you. Some great people on here and most are willing to help in any way.

according2emma Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif I have tried the chocolate MMF and it's great but found rolling it out on icing sugar leaves it dusty - does anyone know how to 'clean up'/'brush' fondant so it leaves it clean?

tiggy2 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by according2emma

icon_biggrin.gif I have tried the chocolate MMF and it's great but found rolling it out on icing sugar leaves it dusty - does anyone know how to 'clean up'/'brush' fondant so it leaves it clean?

Rub it with a little shortening and the sugar will go away.

according2emma Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif cheers! just in time to make my son's birthday cake!

sugarandslice Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 10

Welcome according2emma!
I hope your son's birthday cake is going well. Make sure you post a pic when it's done.
You'll find everyone here really helpful.
Good luck
Emma icon_biggrin.gif

according2emma Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif it went fab! The chocolate MMF was a perfect covering for the cake (The original recipe says nutella and we don't like it). My son clapped as the cake was brought in and the other kids loved it too. When I lifted the lid and they saw all the chocolate coins their mouthes dropped open! Everyone ate the cake and polished it off! I have posted photo's of it now - I think my camera is on its way out - it just doesn't focus properly on the main item anymore!

ashleyisawesome Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by according2emma

You can also use Pam. Just spray it all over and then use a paper towel or something to rub it in and rub off the excess. I do that all of the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%