Baking For Diabetics?

Lounge By three_sets_of_twins Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 10:57am by myslady

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hi ladies.
I'm going to be in san antoino tx for a year, and will then be coming back to the middle east.

Now, it is very sad how many diabetics live here. Whats even sadder is no one has anyidea how to take care of or feed a diabetic. Some shops claim to have diabetic friendly foods and desserts, but they arent! Just the other day I saw BAKLAVA that was claiming it was "diabetic friendly!" MY FOOT! There is no way! Let's say they used splenda or whatever instead of sugar, the stuff is filled with about 2 cups of crushed nuts and about 3 sticks of butter!

So many diabetics here have no options. I was wondering if it was possible in the states for me to take some kind of diebtic baking class? maybe contact the ADA (american diabetes assosoation) and see if I can somehow be certified to bake/cook for diabetics?

my mother is a diabetic so the case is dear to me. And i'd love to be able to add more diabetic friendly items to my menu. So many people here want to buy dessert baskets or get well soon baskets for diebetics but they just cant. The other day my friend was ranting about how her mother in law just got out of the ICU cos her diabetes reached 700, and her friend brought her krispy kreme donuts.
I'd love to somehow take part in providing for and also educating the public that diebetes really is a serious condition.

2 replies
adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 3

Some larger hospitals with full kitchen facilities offer diabetic and healthy cooking classes as part of their community education. Check with them.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:57am
post #3 of 3

the ADA also has diabetic friendly recipes on their website and I think they have a cookbook too.

My stepfather was diagnosed with diabetes and he took a class through the military about living with diabetes. That may be a good start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%