Making A 8' X 4' Cake-Help

Decorating By slimkim Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm by DeeDelightful

slimkim Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:14am
post #1 of 9

I need to ice a really big styrofoam cake , 8 feet long by 4 feet wide, in ROYALl ICING! Not sure if it's gonna be possible to ice such a big cake in royal ,because it dries so fast. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. It's for this weekend. Please let me know!! Thanks in advance!!

8 replies
janeoxo Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:11am
post #2 of 9

Is there anyone who can do it with you, otherwise as you say its gonna dry to fast.

leah_s Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

How are you getting it out your door?

KHalstead Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 9

is it like a huge rectangle? The only way I can think to do it is to make your royal on the thinner side (not super thin but pourable) and make a ton of it and pour it over the whole thing. YOu'll need to raise the styro up onto something to allow the excess to drip off. If I'm picture the shape of this thing right, that's how I'd do it. Gonna be a LOT of royal though!

Cakepro Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

How are you getting it out your door?

That was my first thought. LOL

indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 9

why does it have to be iced in royal? icon_confused.gif

slimkim Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 9

It is for a 1/2 time show at a football game and they want a fake cake so it doesnt get messed up. There are going to be 2 of us, I guess where gonna just have to work fast!!!!

indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 9

I ice all of my styro's in BC. I use my regular recipe but w/o the dream whip and w/o the vanilla. Once the styro is iced, it turns hard as concrete. I pick them up by the sides, transport them to shows and even tell kids, "Sure! You can touch them!" with no problems.

You might try icing a styro in a modified BC to see how it reacts. If it hardens enough for your liking, it might be easier for the two of you.

DeeDelightful Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I ice all of my styro's in BC. I use my regular recipe but w/o the dream whip and w/o the vanilla. Once the styro is iced, it turns hard as concrete. I pick them up by the sides, transport them to shows and even tell kids, "Sure! You can touch them!" with no problems.

You might try icing a styro in a modified BC to see how it reacts. If it hardens enough for your liking, it might be easier for the two of you.

Makes a whole lot of sense to me! I would definitely use some really cheap shortening to make the icing, too. As long as you can make it smooth and crusting, no need to worry about flavor. Maybe just use shortening, sugar and water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%