Buying Supplies

Business By rlw74 Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 4:29am by morgnscakes

rlw74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlw74 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:20am
post #1 of 8

I plan to be legal early part of next year. Right now we are getting the kitchen set-up and applying for all the licenses. So far, the cakes I've done are just for family and close friends so I've made a trip to the local grocery store, Sams Club or Michael's nearby to buy my supplies. I assume that once I really start making more cakes in quantity I'll need better suppliers. Do you all order online? buy from the grocery store?

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 8

Congratulations!

I'm fortunate to have a baker's wholesaler about 20 minutes from me so I buy a lot of my supplies there. I buy my sugar, flour, etc., from BJ's and some of my specialty items on-line.

Do you have a Sam's club or BJ'S nearby? As you begin to take on more orders you'll definitely benefit from buying your ingredients in bulk.

How exciting for you, I wish you the best of luck!
Deb icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 8

Where are you located? This will give readers an idea of local stores or wholesalers for you to shop at or order from.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

Congratulations!!!! I buy some supplies online and some at a local store, like Costco. Depends on what you are using and the shipping costs. The shipping can be the killer with heavy items like 50# bags of sugar icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:23am
post #5 of 8

Another possible source of supplies is whoever services the local restaurants. I'm able to get cake flour, sugar & confectionery sugar that way. Much better price.

Maybe it's just my area, but frankly I can buy in the grocery store for just about the same $$ as Sam's so don't use it much.

Catherine

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:40am
post #6 of 8

Here are two site places that I use and are great.

For equipment:
mixing bowls, spatulas....etc.

http://www.equippers.com/

for supplies:
Flour, butter, boxes....etc.

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

I don't know where you are so I don't know if there is one of these near you. Equippers ships and they are very inexpencive on all there stuff. Restaurant depot has an equipment store but the other stuff you have to go get at the store it self. Hope this is usefull.

Vic

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

For equipment:
mixing bowls, spatulas....etc.

http://www.equippers.com/

I use this site for a lot of my catering equipment, too. Their shipping is incredibly reasonable.

Before you invest in 50 lb bags of cake mix from a restaurant supply, tell the sales rep that you want to sample it first. I've use some that I just would not put my name on so I stuck with my 18 oz boxes from walmart.

I also bought a lot of my cake supplies from sams....p.sugar, brown sugar, eggs, choc chips, various cookies supplies, etc.

GFS (Gordon Food Service) is also a good source. I don't recommend their brand of comm'l cake mix though.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

I get most of my ingredients (sugar, flour, eggs, butter, etc) from Sam's. We get our milk and small things from a local grocery store. As far as fondant goes, we get ours from www.globalsugarart.com and some other decorating supplies from www.countrykitchensa.com. we have a decorating supply store not to far from us that we order our sweetex from since they get it for a discounted rate from their supplier. We have also ordered from Pfeil and Holing

I would love to find out where others get their products from, other than sam's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%