Taste Testing, How To Choose?

Decorating By motherofgrace Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 2:53am by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 27

Hi!

As some of you know, I am try to start my buisness in april (farmers market only)

I will be starting out with, cookies and Cake truffles at first. I have about 50 different cake truffle ideas. And also some cookie ideas

What I would liek to know is, how would I go about testing these (I dont have any family to give it away too, and only a couple friends).

I was thinking maybe giving some to my landlord? And asking her if she knows anyone in our building open to trying stuff?

Also, do you think cookies and cake truffles are enough?

And Right now all I have is a vanilla sugar cookie recipe, and a chocolate one........ any other ones, that go good with RI??

Sorry for ALL the questions. TIA!

26 replies
motherofgrace Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 27

anyone?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 27

So you live in a apt. building with multiple tenants?
If so ask your landlord if you can host a taste testing party in a central location, the lobby or club house .
Just make up a bunch of your flavors and some comment cards, people can swing by taste and let you know which they prefer.
Just have it kind of like a open house thing from noon to 3pm on a Saturday, very casual.
If your building sends out monthly newsletters see about advertsing in it or just put a flyer on each door.
This way you will get a bunch of opinions and all at once instead of baking and giving away a bunch of stuff here and there.
As far as the cookies with RI you can make the NFSC recipe and flavor tin any way you want too, I've done coconut, almond,mocha , cappuccino , you name if they sell a flavor/oil for it you can just sub it for the vanilla.

Oh and keep the comment cards simple, just ask which is their favorite have the flavors listed and just let them circle the one they liked the most and keep it aynomous, some people won't be honest if they have to put their name down .
HTH.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:39am
post #4 of 27

REALLY good idea CakemommyTX! I concur.

motherofgrace Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:43am
post #5 of 27

ok thanks! We dont have a common area.... but im sure I can figure something out!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:22am
post #6 of 27

..moving to Decorating forum. icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:24am
post #7 of 27

Thanks JanH I wasnt sure where to put it!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:36am
post #8 of 27

something that I put on my comment cards is a suggestion area. you would be suprised how serious people take this sort of thing, which is not a bad thing. also see whats around you locally and see what sells, see what they have run out of by noon and what is still hanging around at 4 pm, (Take that for what it's worth because sometimes it's just that they have not perfected) just starting off point. This research gives you an idea of what are the "popular" flavors in your area. Hope it helps.

Vic

motherofgrace Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:16am
post #9 of 27

actually there is nothing around me, accept safeway bakery, and IGA bakery!! There was a custom cake shop, but they just closed thier store front!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 27

Do you work? If so, organize a tasting in the office coffee room or a dessert tasting for after lunch. That's what I have done in the past... If you don't work, then see if one of your friends' work places would welcome this.
Are you a part of any other clubs? I found my Toastmasters was also a great group for tasting - a good cross-section of the community! icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:22am
post #11 of 27

no i dont work SAHM. And lol, I dont have any friends here yet!!!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #12 of 27

what about a nursing home or bingo hall?

motherofgrace Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #13 of 27

ooooooh Ill find out!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:13am
post #14 of 27

I'm in sorta the same boat (not trying to sell but wanting to bake) but I was at the library checking out cake books and mentioned it to the librarian and she said they would love to have some sometime and mentioned the fire dept guys also...although most likely will get a man's view BUT men go to the farmer's marker too!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:17am
post #15 of 27

I think I'd do up little cards with options like
PB chocolate ball
Was it (circle all that apply)
A. Too dry
B. Too moist
C. Too sweet
D. Too small
E. Just right

Does it need (circle all that apply)
A. More chocolate flavor
B. Less Chocolate Flavor
C. Nuts...
D. chocolate Chips

Sometimes people who aren't great testers feel bad about telling someone that what they got for free isn't perfect BUT if you give the options then they know you are expecting some of the results.

I would also put something like

Have you ever (circle all that apply)
A. Tried these before
B. Made these before
C. Purchased these before

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:18am
post #16 of 27

I was going to mention seniors lodges, which is the area I work in. You'd have more luck than with a nursing home. You can get in touch with the Activity Coordinator in the specific lodge. Try
"Greater Edmonton Foundation" (GEF). They're the biggest in the area. You're about 1/2 hr to 45min east of Ed, right?There are also a number of rural ones in the area and they could even help you out with that. icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #17 of 27

lol I go to the library all the time!! I will ask

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:33am
post #18 of 27

You could have the tasting at the farmers market by having smaller cookies in every flavour next to packets of cookies you are selling.Customers come , look, taste the small cookie and if they like it buy the bigger packs. That way you will know which ones are the favourites and they customer will know where to go for more when the craving for more kicks in.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 27

Seriously? You waited from 1:49 until 2:06? LOL! Hopefully you have more patience with your business! Good luck.

motherofgrace Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 27

I didnt know it was that close, I was just too eager to here the answers... oops lol

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #21 of 27

She gave herself a bump, I don't see any harm in it.

motherofgrace Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #22 of 27

thanks CakeMommyTX... I just didnt want it to get lost.... icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I was going to mention seniors lodges, which is the area I work in. You'd have more luck than with a nursing home. You can get in touch with the Activity Coordinator in the specific lodge. Try
"Greater Edmonton Foundation" (GEF). They're the biggest in the area. You're about 1/2 hr to 45min east of Ed, right?There are also a number of rural ones in the area and they could even help you out with that. icon_smile.gif

I emailed them and they said they would be very interested in talking to me.... thanks for the idea!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

And Right now all I have is a vanilla sugar cookie recipe, and a chocolate one........ any other ones, that go good with RI??

Hi Sweetheart - have you thought of doing a Gingerbread type of biscuit?
I was just thinking that seeing as it is *cold* over your way icon_wink.gif - gingerbread cookies are a warming type of cookie.

You could decorate them with orange/yellow colours - in keeping with the colour of the gingerbread.

I have a recipe if you are interested...
Great to read that you are setting up at a market - best of luck.

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:16am
post #25 of 27

Bluehue.- thanks! I would love to try it. Send it my way!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:42am
post #26 of 27

SH - I have sent it to yoou via email
I just clicked on th email tag under your posts.

That way you can print it out.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:53am
post #27 of 27

thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%