Oh, My Baby!

Lounge By costumeczar Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 11:21pm by loopilu

costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 13

Yes, my 14-yr-old baby, that is. He just had his first flying lesson today, and the instructor let him fly the plane by himself almost the entire time icon_surprised.gif Ohhhh, my baby is getting older! Boo hoo!

On another note, why did I not feel nervous to send him up in a two-seater plane on a windy day, but the thought of him driving a car freaks me out?

And maybe I should be crying about having to pay for the stupid flying lessons icon_razz.gif

12 replies
Deb_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:40am
post #2 of 13

Wow Kara, good for him!

Are you guys a family of pilots or is it just his passion?

costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 13

He's been obsessed with planes since he was a baby, so it's definitely his passion. When he was in preschool we were at the airport and he was looking out the window at a plane. A stewardess was walking past and said "do you see the big plane?" He looked at her and said "It's a 727" (or whatever it was) She looked surprised and said "He's right!" It's been a matter of putting off paying for this as long as I could, but at this point he's taller than I am, has been flying the flight simulators for 5 years, and I couldn't think of anything else he'd want for Christmas! He can't get a license until he's 17 anyway, so I told him it's going to be once or twice a month at the most until it's closer to that.

adree313 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:58am
post #4 of 13

that's so awesome for him! i just started looking into flying lessons around here, too. it's on my life list of things to do: fly a plane at least once. good thing there's a trial offer!

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 13

LOL! Yeah, I think I'ld be crying about paying for the actual lessons then him taking the lessons as well...then again, I do think it's completely backwards of you to be scared of him driving. LOL! icon_razz.gif

Mike1394 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:54am
post #6 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Very cool. Heck, most days around here I'M afraid to drive. LOLOL

Mike

costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

icon_biggrin.gif Very cool. Heck, most days around here I'M afraid to drive. LOLOL

Mike

Ha ha, my husband said "Any idiot can get a driver's license, at least they pay attention when you try to fly a plane." icon_razz.gif

mkolmar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 13

He sounds like my friends DH. He had his small pilot license before his driver license. He wanted to fly her to senior prom in a helicopter but she said no. icon_lol.gif He later went into the Air Force and was learning to fly jets.

Hey, your son could be the next Top Gun. Move over Tom Cruise.

Ashlynn Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 13

Good for him! I have my pilots License, trust me he will be fine. Tell him to enjoy every minute of it! What kind of airplane did he go up in? A Cessna?

costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 13

It was smaller than a Cessna, it was one of the two-seater light sport planes. He can get a license to fly those faster than the Cessnas, so I think that's what he'll train on for now.

Ashlynn Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 13

I have my Sport License and fly J-3 Cubs. If he needs/wants books let me know. I get a discount on everything here at the airport and I have a bunch from when I was working on my license.

costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlynn

I have my Sport License and fly J-3 Cubs. If he needs/wants books let me know. I get a discount on everything here at the airport and I have a bunch from when I was working on my license.

Oooh, thanks! I'll see what he needs.

loopilu Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:21pm
post #13 of 13

aww, good for him! My grandad recenty passed away, he loved planes and would love to talk about this! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%