Decorating Turntable: Ateco Or Fat Daddio??

Decorating By PattyT Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 8:08am by PattyT

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 10

I know the Ateco has been around for a long time and is very good, but has anyone tried the Fat Daddio? They look very similar, but the price is quite a bit less for the Fat Daddio. Has anyone used it?

Thanks for any advice.
Pat

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 10

I love my FAt Daddio turntable!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 10

I just got my Fat Daddy for Christmas and used it for a cake yesterday. LOVE IT!!!! So smooth turning, it's like a dream.

Of course, my only point of comparison before that was the cheap-o Wilton turn table. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 10

wilton big professional one is same as ateco -- and can get for 40% or more off with coupons at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, A.C. Moore.

I did just that and love using it (tho' dread day I drop the base -- so heavy it's going to noticeable damage to whatever it lands on.

link to wilton's turntable:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C9EB-475A-BAC0-5E67EC9C9DF482A2&fid=3E32BAFD-475A-BAC0-514802D11BE08B66

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 10

we've had both, and I prefer our Fat Daddios.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 10

I have a Fat Daddio's. I think I kissed it goodnight the first night it spent in the studio. Dang it's heavy though. Sooooo heavy.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 10

I have a cheap wilton. The more I use it, the worse it gets. It leans to one side now. Thought it was great when I first got it but didn't know any better back then. I really need to invest in a good one.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 10

So it wont answer your question but it will give you another option. I actually use a lazy susan for my cakes. I have a large one that I use the bigger cakes on and a medium one that I use for the smaller cakes. I think I had the wilton one years ago and hated it. I love the lazy susan.

thanks,
Barbara

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #9 of 10

I ordered a Fat Daddio's turntable from Amazon, and it worked like a dream. Unfortunately, during shipping the base was so scratched I couldn't get past the aesthetic despite how well it worked. I had just missed the sale too when Amazon was selling it for $12!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How insane!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:08am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone - all great advice. It's helpful to hear from people who have used them.

Thanks too Doug - I wasn't even aware Wilton made the big heavy one. Thought just the plastic ones everyone complains about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%