Help First Wedding Cake How Do I Price?

Decorating By stacymariesmith Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm by leah_s

stacymariesmith Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked what the pricing would be for a Wedding cake. This is my first Wedding cake, and I have no idea what to charge. She would like a 3 tiered cake the bottom would be a double layer 12in. the second would be a double layer 8in. and the top would be a 6in. all round. That is all the info. I have right now, but she would like a base price. PLEASE HELP!

5 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 6

First, find out how many servings those pan sizes produce. By my chart that's about 114 servings. Then you can determine your price per serving for buttercream or for fondant. Maybe you want to have different pricing for different flavors (some people do, some don't). Check with local bakeries that provide custom-made cakes and local grocery store bakeries and see what they charge per serving. That will give you some idea of the going rate in your area. After that, you can decide if you want to go up on your price per serving based on the level of design on the cake. I live in Arkansas and i've found that anywhere from $2.50 to $4.50 is the going rate and some people still think that's too high, but you will learn you can never please EVERY one who asks you to bake a cake.

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

I am no expert when it comes to this but the shop I used to work in charged by the slice.

It would be extra for flavors in the middle i.e.: raspberry, any cream filling or any fondant work.

I believe she charged $1.70 for her most basic cake and up to $2.00 for a speciality cake.

lanana Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 6

The first question I will make is: How many servings/guest? so you can know how much cake do you need. next question : Butter cream? or fondant? butter cream is usually cheaper than fondant. And then based on that, you can put your price per serving. I will start a little research around the area and check prices, anyway your price will depend on your work, and what do you think is the best price: ingredients cost, work hours, etc. i hope this helps you

_Jamie_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 6

For the servings that Dee came up with, it would start at $456 for BC only, and $570 for fondant. But there is no indication of design, details, etc. to truly give a good estimate.

leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 6

First, just for visual symmetry, I'd do a 6/9/12 rather than a 6/8/12.

Definitely base the price on servings needed.

And be sure to take along a copy of your license and insurance info when you delier the cake, as many venues are requiring those these days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%