Did You Know Wm Brand Shortening Now Has 0G Trans Fat?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 3:17am by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 15

I was in my WM supercenter today to pick up some things, and one of the things I needed was another tub of shortening for an upcoming cake. Anyways, I noticed that the packaging of the WM shortening was now completely different. It wasn't the usual blue label, but rather a new white label. Anyways, just to be sure, I checked the trans fat and it was 0g!!! I guess that they changed that too. For posterity, I checked the WM shortening made from meat fats, and it also has 0g of Trans Fat.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this change? I hope other store brands don't follow suit.

14 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 15

i noticed that too. so i bought the smiths brand it still has trans fats in it.

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

I was in my WM supercenter today to pick up some things, and one of the things I needed was another tub of shortening for an upcoming cake. Anyways, I noticed that the packaging of the WM shortening was now completely different. It wasn't the usual blue label, but rather a new white label. Anyways, just to be sure, I checked the trans fat and it was 0g!!! I guess that they changed that too. For posterity, I checked the WM shortening made from meat fats, and it also has 0g of Trans Fat.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this change? I hope other store brands don't follow suit.

I still use WM brand with no problems. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #4 of 15

I have the white tub and it has 3g trans fat, so maybe they're phasing it in. It's only a matter of time until it all goes trans fat free.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 15

I laughingly refer to the new WM labeling as their "Darma Project" products. It's so plain and ugly --for those of us who are LOST junkies, you will know what I mean. icon_lol.gif

Anyway, my last can still had trans fats (I check each time,) but I find that sometimes the shortening is really loose, and sometimes firm. The loose stuff is gross -like it was in a hot environment for too long. I've taken numerous cans back for that reason alone and have since gone to Aldi's shortening exclusively. It still has its trans fats and is always consistent.

I ,too, hope that they will not all eventually cave to Political Correctness and remove trans fats.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 15

Ooh, Dharma project labelling...That's so true, and I don't believe I didn't notice that before! I have February 2nd marked on my calendar already...

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I laughingly refer to the new WM labeling as their "Darma Project" products. It's so plain and ugly --for those of us who are LOST junkies, you will know what I mean. icon_lol.gif

Anyway, my last can still had trans fats (I check each time,) but I find that sometimes the shortening is really loose, and sometimes firm. The loose stuff is gross -like it was in a hot environment for too long. I've taken numerous cans back for that reason alone and have since gone to Aldi's shortening exclusively. It still has its trans fats and is always consistent.

I ,too, hope that they will not all eventually cave to Political Correctness and remove trans fats.

It's all so generic you can't tell one product from the next. The shortening may as well come in a box cause I can't tell it from the Mac n' cheese!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:35am
post #8 of 15

icon_lol.gif I told my dh just last week that everything looks like Darma boxes/cans. I'm personally disgusted w/ their pkging & hope it backfires on them. It screams generic & if I buy it I put it in a different container as soon as I get home!

WM shortening went TF free here months ago.

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:42am
post #9 of 15

my wm as both here.....

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:52am
post #10 of 15

Ditto on everything said above about Walmart's new labelling (esp. the part about not being able to tell one product from another... it's FRUSTRATING to have to look at everything so closely to figure out which one is what you want). What were they thinking??? There's a reason store brands went away from that generic food looking label... people associate it with lesser quality.

- Leisel

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:01am
post #11 of 15

WM labeling is sooo confusing, especially with my eyesight. They print yellow and pale orange on the white background and it is practically unreadable! Old age (and eyesight) sucks!

mommy2remi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2remi Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:06am
post #12 of 15

i tried the wm beand shortening about a month ago for the first time, and it was awful. i don't know how to describe it, but it was so slimy and won't hardly wash off any of my utensils.... yuck. never make that mistake again!
but as far as the new wm packaging, i hate it too!! i buy the wm brand of a lot of things, but since the change i have a hard time telling whats what, and it seems so unappealing... i've even caught myself grabbing the name brand of a lot of things lately instead of the wm brand.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 15

if you have a Target superstore, their brand of shortening still has trans fats. I quit buying WM brand a long time ago (about the time Crisco changed).

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 15

I'll have to tell my friend that, she uses that brand because it has the fat in it... icon_sad.gif

Jen

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:17am
post #15 of 15

As of now, Albertsons brand shortening still contains Trans Fats. I hope they don't change their formulation anytime soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%