Can I Do This?? Need Help With Ball Cake.....

Decorating By goodiegoddess Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 5:32am by FleurDeCake

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 24

Ok, so I want to make a pyramind of balls out of cake. I was going to make 14 balls total. 9 on the bottom ( 3 rows of 3), then 4 on the next layer and 1 on top. The balls will be covered in fondant then stacked.

Does that make sense? I want the finished product to look like a pile of colourful balls.

Thanks!!

23 replies
cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 24

That makes sense and sounds like it would look awesome! Looking forward to seeing pics! GL!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 24

Have you tried finding some balls ab out the size of the cakes and stacked them up to see how it looks?
I'm not sure but the bottom will be too big for the rest and not look right.

goodiegoddess Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 24

I was wondering if i would have to use any support under each ball? They will be almost completely supported? Any idea?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 24

If you use a dense enough cake and a fairly generous thickness of fondant, I think they'll be fine. I would suggest letting the fondant set up pretty well on each ball before stacking so they aren't as soft and likely to get squashed.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 24

Just had another thought... to be on the safe side, I think you could probably poke a skewer through the cake board between each ball on the bottom row. Then, thread the next row of ball over the skewers to help hold them steady, taking some of the pressure off the bottom row. Especially if you're planning to transport it assembled.

Then, you could drive a longer skewer through the center for the top ball to slip onto.

goodiegoddess Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #7 of 24

Thanks for the suggestions! I will let you know how it turns out. I think letting the balls set up is a great idea. Let hope!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 24

I just made a pyramid of snowballs on a cake. As someone else has said, 9/4/1 will not look balanced. If you do a 3 sided version instead with 6/3/1 or 10/6/3/1 it will be more recognizable as a balanced pyramid. I only know this because I went through the same thing until I tested different configurations with cotton balls and it became clear.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 24

Just to be clear, the base would be a row of 3 balls, then a row of 2 balls against that, then 1 ball against that to complete the triangular base.

goodiegoddess Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #10 of 24

I think that sounds better, and I looked into your pictures. Thanks for the help. Will let you know how it turns out.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #11 of 24

9,4,1 sounds right. I thought pyramids had a square base. I just sketched it(doodled it on a nearby paper...)...looked right.

I would consider securing the balls on the base to that the consecutive layers of balls don't cause them to roll apart. DianeLM gave the best advice...allow the fondant to set firm before stacking.

I could've played catch without damage with the one sphere I covered...it dried overnight.

all4cake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #12 of 24

http://mi9.com:1810/data/1/18/1215590939.jpg (4 side set-up)

or the top three 'tiers' of these bowling balls icon_eek.gif ( I do believe these are on the 3-side set-up)

http://www.infrastructurist.com/wp-content/uploads/rahir1.jpg

goodiegoddess Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #13 of 24

The second pic is the look I was going for. I am going to make the balls two days in advance just to make sure they are firm. I think i will have to put a cake board under the setup of balls

goodiegoddess Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #14 of 24

Thanks for all your help! Here is a picture of my final cake. Made some changes to the orignal design.
LL

goodiegoddess Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #15 of 24

Thanks for all your help! Here is a picture of my final cake. Made some changes to the orignal design.
LL

all4cake Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #16 of 24

Oh! My! That turned out greeeeeeat! I love the piles of little balls inbetween...they seem to make the larger ones appear very significant (that ain't the word I want to use...more pronounced? um just that much bigger and add to them being a focal point?)...I love it!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #17 of 24

So just a few questions on your FANTASTIC and creative cake...

I was wondering if i would have to use any support under each ball?

Did you, in some way, support your balls?

If you use a dense enough cake and a fairly generous thickness of fondant, I think they'll be fine. I would suggest letting the fondant set up pretty well on each ball before stacking so they aren't as soft and likely to get squashed.

Where your balls dense enough that they didn't get squashed?

you could drive a longer skewer through the center for the top ball to slip onto

I'm hoping you didn't skewer your balls, but instead let them rest on each other?

I am going to make the balls two days in advance just to make sure they are firm

Were your balls noticably firmer than the first day? And did handling your balls too much decrease their firmness?

I love the piles of little balls inbetween...they seem to make the larger ones appear very significant (that ain't the word I want to use...more pronounced?

I too think your balls look very big and pronounced.

Were the colors to everyones liking?

Just asking if you had anyone whining over blue balls or crying over red balls?

Finally, how did your balls end up tasting?

Did everyone end up enjoying eating them?

Excellent job you did! I really think it would be neat to go beyone this and mimic some of the pictures posted to help get ideas. It would be neat to have a cake that everyone could just grab and eat... similar to cupcakes but just way more appealing. How did you make them? Carving? Seriously... very very clever. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:07am
post #18 of 24

Darthburn, your last post reads a little ...risque...LOL

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #19 of 24

Darthburn--LOL!! There's nothing like a little "ball" humor to start the day off right!! icon_biggrin.gif

goodiegoddess Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #20 of 24

Darthburn to answer your questions:

No, I did not need support under the balls. I did use a cake board under all of them and used support under that. I used a scratch vanilla cake that is somewhat firm. I made the balls a day before with just a regualr layer of fondant. I used a little RI to make sure the balls did not roll arond when I deliverd them.

The mom sent me an email telling me that the joke for all the adults for the night was who was going to eat the blue balls icon_smile.gif I used Satin Ice fondant so the cake, balls included tasted great!!

Thanks again please PM if you need more help!

goodiegoddess Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #21 of 24

I used a ball pan and used buttercream to stick them together. I wanted to make a pile of balls 9 on the bottom, 4 then 1 on top. just didnt have time if that plan didnt work.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #22 of 24

That is awesome thank you so much! I was really curious about shaping the balls themselves. I have the Wilton ball pans, but those looked smaller that Wilton size. You did a great job. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:16am
post #23 of 24

LOLOL! I love it. Who got to eat the blue balls?!? icon_lol.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:32am
post #24 of 24

labella....u are hysterical....ROFLMAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%