Goodnight Moon Birthday Cake

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 3:38pm by DianeLM

CandyLady Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 11

my grandniece is turning 1 in a couple of weeks and this is her favorite book...any ideas to do a cake and mom would like a 6 inch as well...need help there too...thanks a bunch...Pat

10 replies
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 11

Wow, love the idea! I would go with a green background for sure, maybe a frozen buttercream transfer for the image? Hopefully someone else might have some better ideas, good luck!

icer101 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 11

i did one some years back.. for my grandson.. it was featured in mail box news.. he loved that book too. it was actually for his dad.. i piped the figures using the book cover as a guide to go by.. i use to love to pipe.. but use fondant figures more now.. you could do that too.. just use the book cover to help you..

panipuri Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 11

I did a book shaped cake - I jsut carved out a 1/4 sheet and laid fondant on top . Then I hand painted a background - just some grass etc and did fondant animals.
Hope that helps.

DianeLM Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 11

Here's one I did. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1434870

CandyLady Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:39am
post #6 of 11

I love your tiered cake that encompases everything cute about the book...unfortunately I am not that talented and (don't work with fondant) and she does not want a tiered cake...I wish I had that talent though...it would have wowed them for sure...my niece gave me the box the she received the book in...has a window on left with moon and stars peeking through, a fireplace and a picture above fireplace with cow jumping over the moom...she said she would love the six inch smash cake to be a red balloon but doesn't want the red all over the baby. I have my work cut out for me and everyone has wonderful ideas...I do not have an airbrush so not sure how to achieve this solid green found on walls...she said the baby loves the fireplace, rabbit and bowl of mush..those phrases stand out.

jenng1482 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:51am
post #7 of 11

dont forget the mouse - he makes an appearance on every page!

sadsmile Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 11

I would make the smash cake be the bowl of mush or the moon. And make a sheet cake be the bed with gum paste headboard and foot boards and slippers. You may not be good with fondant but rolling it out flat and cutting out the blankets wouldn't be too hard.

They have good night moon games and blocks on-line- they would make a sure favorite gift.

3GCakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #9 of 11

I don't have much of any ideas...but I just gotta say that "and a little old lady, whispering hush" makes me sleepy every time!!

CandyLady Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 11

what great ideas! bowl of mush, how awesome...sounds like one book I missed when my son was young...thanks again.

DianeLM Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the nice compliments on my cake, CandyLady. icon_smile.gif

Truth be told, all three tiers of that cake were originally iced in green buttercream. Due to the extreme heat at the time, all but the hex developed huge blowouts (along with 6 other cakes I had iced as well!). I wound up scraping off all the buttercream and reicing in fondant.

I didn't have enough pre-colored green fondant, so I pulled out the airbrush, which crapped out on me part of the way through, which is why the green isn't as dark as it should be.

My point is, you can color your buttercream green. icon_smile.gif

Also remember about the book... the clock on the mantle shows a later time in each picture, the mouse is hidden somewhere on each page, the picture frame style is not consistent on every page, so you can improvise. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%