Tobas' Glaze

Baking By lmay06 Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 11:55am by JGMB

lmay06 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 8

after looking at geminirj's cookie pics and realised she uses tobas' glaze but i cant find the recipe, pls can anyone who has the recipe send it to me. i need to bake some cookies for my mum for the 31st when i go to see her.

secondly does anyone have any cookie recipe thats not too sweet and may not need to be chilled as i have a limited time
thanks in advance

7 replies
erinalicia Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 8

toba's glace icing. it helps if you add some white coloring to it before you add other colors it reduces the spottiness you sometimes get when it dries.

edited to add: I find the recipe as written is too thin for me so I just add the liquid slowly so that I can get my thicker consistency for outlining and then a little thinner for flooding.

Sagebrush Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 8

I also had problems with this icing. It DID taste good, but as written seemed too thin, so I added a bunch more powdered sugar. It was still too thin to make a good outline, but too thick to work as flood icing. To top it all off, the colors separated a lot, even the lighter colored one I added white to.

That being said, everyone I gave them to thought they were great and said they were too pretty to eat. One friend especially liked the red stocking saying she thought it looked like velvet, and I had one lady ask me if I would teach her how to do cookies like that.

Still, I don't know if I would use the glaze again... at least until I figured out a way to fix the problems I encountered.

- Leisel

drakegore Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 8

this recipe is for the flood icing only. more PS has to be added for the outline consistency.

use paddle attachment, not whisk attachment.

the milk (or water) and ps should be mixed well first, then the corn syrup added. flavoring, if oil like lorann, should be 2-3 drops.

after all ingredients in, you can mix an additional 5 minutes on the slowest speed possible to help remove air bubbles.

to make the outline add 6-8 heaping tablespoons of PS to 1/2 cup flood icing. when you drizzle if off the back of the spoon and it does not disappear into the rest of the frosting for count of ten, you are good icon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, Diane... I'll keep that in mind.

Anything I can do to fix the problem with the colors separating? I used Americolor gels, and I even mixed in some super white with the blue, but every color I mixed separated as it dried.

- Leisel

drakegore Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 8

hi leisel,

the seperating color is odd! you aren't using candy colors are you?

i use regular americolor gels and americolor white (don't use the wilton white, it does bad things to the texture of the icing when it dries) and have not had that happen.

when you say "seperating as it dries" do you mean you are getting cloudy spots or you are getting ribbons of light and dark color?

ButtacreamRose Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 11:40am
post #7 of 8

Check this out.
I use NFSC in the recipe section.

JGMB Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 11:55am
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by lmay06

secondly does anyone have any cookie recipe thats not too sweet and may not need to be chilled as i have a limited time
thanks in advance

I always get rave reviews when I use the Wilton Sugar Cookie recipe with Toba's glace:

Wilton Roll-Out Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ¾ cups flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add baking powder and flour, one cup at a time, beating after each addition. The dough will be very stiff; blend in last flour by hand. Do NOT chill dough.

Divide dough into 2 balls. Working with one ball at a time, roll out dough on a floured surface to about 1/8 thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place cookies on ungreased sheets and bake on the top rack of the oven for 6-7 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%