To Fill Or Not To Fill/torte A Single Layer?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm by _Jamie_

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 9

I don't eat many of my cakes anymore, but last night I had the chance to sample at a family dinner. Man, it was way too sweet! My family kindly noted this as well. I had a single layer 9X13 WASC filled with vanilla BC and covered in fondant (vanilla BC was the crumb coat too). The other side was ditto with Choc.
I never used to fill (or torte is probably the proper terminology)a single layer cake, then saw that everyone else was doing it. So, of course being the free thinker I am, I had to do it too! I was also fearful that my cakes would taste dry if I didn't (since I freeze undecorated and decorated cakes regularly).
But I think I'll stop now. OR maybe I should be using less sugar in the original WASC (though, I dont' want to mess with perfection) or a less sweet filling. I would prefer a non-refrigerated fill. I've eaten my non-filled single layers in the past and found them just fine (but it wasn't WASC, which I use all the time now)

Thoughts?? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 9

I torte and fill every cake. I dont' make WASC, so can't comment on that. I would think the level of sweetness has to do with the filling. I personally find jamor preserves waaaay too sweet for fillings. But the bottom line is, yes, cake (and most desserts) = sweet.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 9

I fill all of my single layer cakes. Are you sure the sweetness wasn't from your icing? I don't find my WASC sweet but our tastebuds are a very subjective from each other. What is your icing recipe? Are you using unsalted butter? Salt cuts down on sweetness, so you may want/need to adjust your salt in your cake and/or icing recipe.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 9

I don't torte and fill any of my cakes. My sheet cakes are 1 layer non-torted. My tiered cakes have 2 layers with filling or bc between, also non-torted. Not once has a customer ever asked for it.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 9

I torte and fill all my cakes (don't do sheet cakes or single lasyer cakes), my cakes are sweet and I put a lot of filling as well and I've never had a complaint.
I like to think that cake is supposed to be decadent and sweet and a bit over kill, but then again I tend to over do things.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 9

You can cut the sweetness by trying a meringue buttercream. I "had" to make a powdered sugar based icing last week for my mom....had to. She wanted it. I reminded her, "mom, this is the stuff I don't make anymore, remember? The SICKLY sweet stuff???". Yeah, make it anyways she says, it's for everyone else, they will like it. Okkkkkkkk.

Yep. Comments overheard at dinnier table.

"Good! But wow is that SWEET!"
"This tastes different....did you do something different!"
"Wow! That's a LOT of sugar!!!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh. Uggggggghhhh.

((sigh)) Talk to mom about that!!!!

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 9

when I am using a very sweet buttercream and cake, I like to fill with something that has some tart to it, like a lemon curd or a raspberry filling. I like the combo of sweet/tart though. Maybe you can try filling it with something a little tart? it works for me.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 9

I tried WASC one time and thought IT was the sweetest thing I'd ever tasted....I'm scratch only but had to see what the commotion was about.

Icing is meant to be sweet....cake doesn't have to be.

That same cake with a scratch white or yellow recipe would have been divine....I promise.

I torte everything and they are not "too" sweet....I eat a lot of my cakes so I know.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Another reason why I don't get the infatuation with WASC...tried it once even though I'm a "scratch only" baker, I had to see what the commotion was about this cake

I had to prove something to myself last night. Everytime I'm in Starbucks, people are munching on those gorgeous cupcakes from the display. They look beautiful! Red velvet....vanilla bean cake...vanilla bean icing. Yeah...I bought one.

I threw it away after the first bite. I couldn't stomach the "canned icing taste" and dry, bland cake. So gross. Made me so thankful for my scratch preferences. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%