Airbrush Mess, Please Help!

Decorating By sleeper713 Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm by sleeper713

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:34am
post #1 of 8

So I got an airbrush machine for Christmas... I was SOOO excited to use it. Tried it out today and made a HUGE mess. There is a dry blue mist all over everything in my house. icon_cry.gif Does anyone have any ideas as to how to do this without making a mess? Surely people don't take their cakes outside to airbrush them, so there must be a much better way than how I was doing it icon_redface.gif . Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 8

Airbrushing "rules" and link to building a spraying box:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653576-.html

HTH

sleeper713 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 8

Oh wow... that is exactly what I needed, thank you so much! I knew there must be a trick of some sort, and the airbrush cabinet will be perfect. Luckily, my husband is extremely handy with that sort of thing, so I think he'd be glad to build it for me.

This is why I love CC, and the moderators! You guys are the best.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #4 of 8

You're very welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:37am
post #5 of 8

Hi,
in the meantime, or as a cheap alternative, I saw on a Martha Stewart segment, she was spraying in a cardboard box like thing, like a box on its side, with the sides angled out more. But a box might do till you get a cabinet made, if it's big enough to see into??

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 8

On the odd occasion I use an airbrush I place the cake in the shower cubicle and spray in there then just clean the cubicle.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 8

Check the pressure.

Mike

sleeper713 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 8

Checking the pressure was a good tip. I read online that it should be kept around 20 to 40 psi, while mine came set at 60. I had no idea that 60 was too high for cakes. I thought there would be some instructions in the box as to optimum pressure for different applications, but I see now that this is going to be a trial and error experience. That, and ideas from CCers.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%