Help, New And In To Deep

Decorating By kristen81 Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 5:22pm by _Jamie_

kristen81 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 14

First, I'm a worrier and I may be thinking to much,but...
I agreed to do my sister's wedding cake, it will be both sides 2nd time. I have taken Wilton 1 and 2 and have some experience, but not with wedding or stacked cakes.
What are thoughts on a 9", 6", and 4" cakes; and possible sheet cake? She doesn't want any leftover and guest list is 25 to 30 people.
How do you properly make those, two pans each, or one and split in have for filling?
Suggestions on cake recipes? I have only made boxed cake so far. Obviously I don't need the same batter amount for a 4" as I do the 9" so I would need to be able to cut the recipe down.
I have heard you can use McDonald's straw for the support. And that you want the cardboard under the cake to be the same size as the cake. Is this right?
I hope I haven't rammbled. Any help would be apprecited!

13 replies
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 14

1. practice
2. wedding cake tiers (not layer) should be 4" tall. That's the industry standard. You'll make two 2" layers, torte or not - your choice.
3. a 6" and a 9"round provides 44 servings, so you certainly don't need any more cake than that.
4. Use SPS for support. Let's get you started out right! And before you ask, read my signature line for SPS info.
5. Be aware that if the reception is at a restaurant or another venue, many are now requiring all food prepared offsite to be prepared by licensed caterers. Just check ahead of time and if needed be prepared with a copy of your license and insurance.

DeeDelightful Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 14

When is the wedding? Study this website as often as possible. Do a search on here for anything you want to know. I would start with the White Almond Sour Cream doctored cake mix recipe on this website, Sugarshack's or Indydebi's buttercream recipe (CC members on this website). Those are great icing recipes that will not give you any trouble, very easy to use. I've never used the McDonald's straws. I've heard of using bubble T straws (google those, cause i'm not sure what they are). I've only used wooden dowels. Yes, the cardboard under the cake should be same size as the tier. A tier is two pans of cake each. After my first wedding cake, i doubled my pan sets, because it's VERY time consuming to make a wedding cake with one set of pans. Stay on this website, you can learn all you need to know.

With those cake sizes, she will have cake left over. Google "cake servings" and you can find charts that show how many servings in each size cake. People could always take cake home if there are leftovers.

drakegore Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 14

this is a great book by dede wilson that you might find really helpful on all your questions:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/076455719X/?tag=cakecentral-20

diane

Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

this is a great book by dede wilson that you might find really helpful on all your questions:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/076455719X/?tag=cakecentral-20

diane

This was one of my first cake books, still pull it out regularly it's so awesome. Very helpful, especially to newbies and gives good advice with subjects like transporting the cake.

JanH Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 14

Hi and Welcome to CC, kristen81. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:
(Has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread also has Wilton cake baking help, as well as CC member contributed baking hints & tips (such as use of bake-even strips, inverted flower nails and pan grease recipe). Also includes cake decorating and assembly help.

How are you mixing/baking the recipe. Here's what I do.

One of the basic techniques in scratch baking is measuring flour accurately.
When measuring flour, do you use the "scoop and drag" method and then shake to level.... You should be aerating the flour prior to gently spooning it into the measuring cup and using a straight edge to level.

Also, when it comes to mixing, MORE (as in more speed or longer mixing time) is not BETTER. Overmixing will develop the gluten and result in a tough cake. Overmixing will also cause a cake to sink.

When I make any of the WASC cake recipes, I sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, and mix all the wet ingredients in a second larger bowl.

Then I add the dry to the wet and beat for 2 mins. using an electric hand mixer at medium speed.

If using a stand mixer, I would mix at the lowest speed for 2 mins. or less.

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

FYI, 4/6/9 rounds (with 4" saved as anniversary cake) will yield 12/32 weddind servings (1x2x4). Slightly more than needed so there's no need for an additional sheet cake.

If you seriously don't want left-overs you can cut the cake into party size servings (1-1/2x2x4) so that the 6/9 would yield 12/24 servings.

HTH

luvmysmoother Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:52am
post #7 of 14

If you use the McDonald's straws it might be a good idea to use a lollypop sticks inside the straw for additional support - should work fine since you're just beginning with the stacked cakesicon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 14

This site has some great video tutorials that I would recommend you watch:

http://www.designmeacake.com/id39.html

Especially the "How to Ice a Cake" and "How to Stack a Cake" videos.

Do you know anything yet about the design of the cake?

- Leisel

Uniqueask Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 14

Good luck with your cake, you have already gotten great advice from everyone. it is not McDonalds straws, It is called bubble tea straws, much bigger, you can find them at www.bobateadirect.com, search bubble tea straws and they will come up, I have used them on the white square three tier cake in my photos, But since this is your first time I think you should use the SPS system leahs recommends, she gives really great advice, and they are usually the best, there are lots of reviews on here from peolpe that used them with much success, that is what I will use for my next cake, Please be sure to post pictures in this thread when you are finished with your cake, and again good luck, you will find a lot of useful info, on here.

ALSO CHECK MY SIGNATURE FOR GREAT RECIPIES AND TUTORIALS

kristen81 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 14

Wow, thank you all!
The wedding is Feb 20, so I better get crackin'. She was originally wanting the color to match her dress, but since she had to send it back. The dress might not come back in time. icon_eek.gif Other than that very simple no topper. Her BD is Wednesday so I'll do some trials.

idgalpal Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 14

Don't forget to bring a 'repair kit' with you to the venue, it's good insurance, if nothing else.

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 14

McDonald's is selling their straws now? Right on! icon_biggrin.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

McDonald's is selling their straws now? Right on! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif My thoughts too! I wouldn't use just straws for support anyway, they probably would work, but why take the chance, just use dowels or even the cookie lolly pop sticks(thicker/stronger than regular ones) It would really suck to get to the venue, set down the cake and have it collapse or not even make it to the venue. And you don't have to pilfer McDonald's icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 14

Heh heh.....your last comment was my emphasis....icon_biggrin.gif

I use the bubble tea straws with no problems on the majority of my cakes. Larger cakes get SPS. I can't stand dowels....they're glorified pencils.

Those tea straws are surprisingly sturdy....and they don't displace cake. The cake slips inside, instead of being pushed out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%