Does Anybody Know How To Make The Tree & Moss For This C

Decorating By deetmar Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm by shannonlovebug

deetmar Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:19am
post #1 of 10

I think Maisie Parrish made this, and I have tried to contact her, but no luck!
LL

9 replies
scionmom Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

I wish I could help but i cant...

Good luck!

sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 10

I'm no expert but here's my thoughts

Moss look like long thin ropes of fondant, then piled on top of each other.

Tree is probably modelling chocolate. I would make a "frame" with floral wire and cover with modelling chocolate and then detail it to resemble bark. Leave a small flat spot at the end of branches for moss to sit on.

And I would start working on this well in advance as you may need to let some things set up before assembling.

hth

Win Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 10

You can achieve the moss one of two ways... first with a garlic press. Push the fondant through and place the little clumps about on your cake. You can also get the affect with a clay extruder which pushes out much longer clumps and allows you to get many more for the bang.

For the flat lying moss that is textured, you roll out a piece of fondant, place it on the cake or the cake board and lightly pounce it with a star tip. This provides the desired effect of a low grass.

The tree, yes, I'd agree, is made by forming a wire frame and covering it with either modeling chocolate or fondant/gumpaste combined.

edited to add that it is possible the tree is formed with wire and rice cereal treats as the overlay, then chocolate or fondant applied as its finished medium.

HTH!

juststarted Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:35am
post #5 of 10

I was wondering how the 'sotas' technique will work using a tip # 3 using royal icing.

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 10

you can also take a start tip and stick it on the end of your finger and poke at a clump of fondant. That's how I made the hedgehogs on this tree cake, I've also used it for coral on another cake.
LL
LL

Win Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

you can also take a start tip and stick it on the end of your finger and poke at a clump of fondant. That's how I made the hedgehogs on this tree cake, I've also used it for coral on another cake.

Yes! Same thing I was describing! It's a Debbie Brown technique. Kh, I made the same tree stump in Autumn colors! I use the technique whenever I need grass, moss, texture...

sorry for the link --I absolutely fail at attaching pics...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1328174

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 10

yes, exactlly............my pics stink as far as showing the texture though!

That gingerbread house is amazing!!!!!!!

tonedna Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 10

I would use an extruder..
Edna icon_smile.gif

shannonlovebug Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 10

Wow that cake is amazing and I have a safari themed cake coming up next month. This would be perfect. I wonder if anyone knows how the stripes are made on the tiger and zebra? Are they painted on or are they fondant pieces that are laid on? And am I correct in assuming that the yellow middle tier is airbrushed? Anyone know how the Lion's mane was made?

I'd really love to duplicate this cake but I see SOO many techniques that I've never tried before! Plus I stink at figurines icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%