Need New Cookie Sheets..recommendations?

Baking By BrandeR Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm by KHalstead

BrandeR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandeR Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 37

I have never posted before, but I new this would be a great place to get information. I want to replace all of my baking sheets and have tried 3 different kinds and and have very unhappy. The super dark ones overcooked the cookies and the other 2 kinds "popped and twisted" when put in the oven. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

36 replies
didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:07am
post #2 of 37

I can't remember where I purchased mine at....But I love my "Airbake" cookie sheets. I never use parchment paper, and never have any trouble with them over baking on the bottom. I personally will not use anything else.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #3 of 37

I love my Lincoln Wearever. Just search online and you'll find them.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 37

I threw away all of my metal baking sheets years ago and only bake cookies on stones now.

Once you try these you will never go back to traditional metal sheets. The cookies come out perfect every time.

Here's an example....

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/pizza-stones-baking-stones.html?gclid=CO7Lks_s954CFc5L5QodW1LKJg

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 37

I love my baking stones...cookies look exactly the same on the bottom as they do on top, so never a burned cookie bottom!
http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=174&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 37

didavista, if you can bake on those sheets with the air in the middle, I applaud you. thumbs_up.gif I had a couple of those and I ended up giving them to the kids to use as snow sleds. Total crap to me.

One thing I'm going to miss about not having my comm'l kitchen anymore is I have to go back to using the crappy crap they stick housewives with. My first choice would be stones, too, but barring that, get some good heavy metal ones. As close to commercial grade as will fit in your oven. If you have a kitchen store in your area, hit there (The Kitchen Collection comes to mind ... usually found in outlet malls.) The ones you buy in retail stores (like walmart) are just nasty to bake on. nice HEAVY DUTY plain 'ole baking sheets. Nothing fancy dancy .... just good baking sheets.

If you have a restaurant supply, get some of the 1/2 sheet pans (12x1icon_cool.gif. Baking on these with parchment and your cookies will look like they came out of a high end gourmet bakery.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyns082608

I love my baking stones...cookies look exactly the same on the bottom as they do on top, so never a burned cookie bottom!
http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=174&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=

Ditto!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 37

I've recently replaced ALL of my "you'll never buy another cookie sheet after using this one!" cookie sheets with the large aluminum 12 x 16 two-set sheets from Sam's. They're WONDERFUL!!! I haven't had anything stick to them and I can get more cookies on them than my old 11 x 13 sheets. Cleanup is a breeze and my cookies come out perfectly on them - plus they're great for making things like peppermint bark, snack mix (that has to be baked in the oven), etc. These cookie sheets plus my KitchenAid are the two things I CANNOT live without now! LOL!

The brand is Bakers & Chefs and I believe the cost for a set of two is around $20. WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY and I'll be giving these as gifts to the bakers in my family!!!

indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:56am
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I've recently replaced ALL of my "you'll never buy another cookie sheet after using this one!" cookie sheets with the large aluminum 12 x 16 two-set sheets from Sam's.

YES!! YES!!! YES!! Those are the ones! Commercial grade 1/2 baking sheets! party.gifthumbs_up.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #10 of 37

I just did all my Christmas cookies on the Sam's ones. Love them! I think having the ridge around the edge (like a jelly roll pan) helps avoid the popping and twisting you can get from regular cookie sheets.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:06am
post #11 of 37

I have used the airbakes in the past with very mixed results. I had over 140 cookies to decorate this Christmas so I did a little investigating and found that the William Sonoma galvanized sheets got good ratings. They are about $13 a pan, but well worth the investment. I had beautiful cookies this year and got rave reviews. I bought two and plan on buying a few more soon. Good luck with your hunt.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 37

I have used the airbakes in the past with very mixed results. I had over 140 cookies to decorate this Christmas so I did a little investigating and found that the William Sonoma galvanized sheets got good ratings. They are about $13 a pan, but well worth the investment. I had beautiful cookies this year and got rave reviews. I bought two and plan on buying a few more soon. Good luck with your hunt.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:08am
post #13 of 37

I'm glad I came across this post! I need to replace my pans too. Thanks for the advice. That's why I love this site thumbs_up.gif

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:35am
post #14 of 37

Sam's sheets are my favorite too! Can't beat the price either. I've baked and baked on them and they continue to look brand new.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:48am
post #15 of 37

All of my cookie sheets are from Sams club too.. I love them, but have never tried the others. Just a newbie in the baking world.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #16 of 37

I'm a Pampered Chef consultant, so I'm partial to the stones too icon_wink.gif Won't bake cookies on anything else now!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstbni

I just did all my Christmas cookies on the Sam's ones. Love them! I think having the ridge around the edge (like a jelly roll pan) helps avoid the popping and twisting you can get from regular cookie sheets.

Exactly! And glad you had a good experience with them, Debi.

BrandeR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandeR Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #18 of 37

Thank you so much to everyone! I have been gone all evening and was really excited for to see all the great information. Do you think my 5 year old son will go shopping with me tomorrow? LOL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:12pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Cake

I'm a Pampered Chef consultant, so I'm partial to the stones too icon_wink.gif Won't bake cookies on anything else now!

THANK YOU!! I could NOT think of the name of my first stone......I think they call that a "brain fart" lol icon_lol.gif

I still have my 3 original Pampered Chef stones and absolutely LOVE them.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 37

Love my "Air bakes"

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 37

When using your stones, do you line them with parchment paper?

indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:

These are really great for bread products, too! I gave my big Pampered Chef stone to my daughter (I'm a caterer .... I don't cook at home! icon_confused.gif ) because she's gotten into making pizza from scratch. The stone makes SUCH a difference!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:52pm
post #23 of 37

I LOVE my Food Network brand ones from Kohls. They are big, bake evenly and do not warp.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #24 of 37

I have two Chicago Metallic heavy commercial 12x18 which I love. I added two Sam's pans, and they work great too. Sam's ones are much less expensive- I think I got two for about 2/3 the price of one of the CM. I'll be adding a couple more Sam's.

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:06pm
post #25 of 37

Doughmakers is a brand of bakeware and they are great. I have two that I bought from metro kitchen it is online. They are so good and lighter than a stone.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:18pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

These are really great for bread products, too! I gave my big Pampered Chef stone to my daughter (I'm a caterer .... I don't cook at home! icon_confused.gif ) because she's gotten into making pizza from scratch. The stone makes SUCH a difference!

Don't waste $$$$ on a bread stone. Go to Lowes/H.Depot, and get some ceramic tile. They usually have some for way less than a buck a tile. If you take your oven size with you. They will cut the tiles to fit.

Mike

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:51pm
post #27 of 37

I received a Wearever as a gift a few years ago. LOVE IT! Bought a Martha Stewart on clearance at TJMaxx & it bakes the same as the Wearever. Baked on a couple from Sam's w/ extremely similar results. I wanted something similar across the board to be able to cook on w/ similar results & baking times.

I like my stones for my breads & baking w/ my kids. but if I'm making cut out sugar cookies & the rest of mine, give me the good ole shiney metal pans. Plus, stones are CRAZY expensive & there's no way I could afford to replace 6-10 pans w/ them. and they do require longer baking times---some of my cookies by 5-6 min per batch & who has the time for that?

So, for occasional baking go for a stone if you can afford it. But for others i would use good quality baking sheets.

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:35am
post #28 of 37

Doughmakers is a brand of bakeware and they are great. I have two that I bought from metro kitchen it is online. They are so good and lighter than a stone.

Got 2 from Santa.
Can't wait to try them out.

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #29 of 37

I have those big, heavy duty ones too, but you won't believe where I got them. They were from a small ethnic store 3 for ...wait for it...$10 (that's right I said $10!)

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #30 of 37

I buy the 12 x 18 sheets at my local restaurant supply store $6 each. I also have Pchef stones but prefer the ease of the metal pan. (Stones too heavy)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%