Help With Ganache

Decorating By Jennzoe333 Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 6:41am by Colliegirl

Jennzoe333 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 20

Ok, so I've never made or used ganache and would like to give it a try. I want to make a white rum cake with a tiple berry filling and cover it with ganache before covering it with fondant. From what I've gathered, I need equal parts of cream and chocolate. I boil the cream and then pour it over the chocolate pieces and then what? Do I refrigerate it or do I just pour it over the cake? Also, what do I use for a damn for the berry filling? These are probably dumb questions for all you pros, but I don't want to waste the gourmet semi sweet baking chocolate I just bought! LOL

19 replies
icer101 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 20

someone will see this and help you. i do have sharon zambito's dvd on this subject. but have not tried it.. i just keep looking at the dvd to be prepared to make this soon..

msulli10 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 20

The ratio is 2:1 - 2 parts chocolate and 1 part cream. Do not boil the cream. Just make it hot enough so you start to see little simmering type bubbles around the edge of the pot. Pour the cream over the chocolate, let it sit a minute and then stir until completely combined. I use an immersion type stick blender. Then you let it sit at room temperature (covered with plastic wrap) until it's nice and thick and creamy. It's okay to refrigerate but then you have to make sure it's at room termperature when you go to use it or it won't be spreadable.
There is also pourable ganache. I think that recipe is 4 oz of chocolate and 1/2 stick butter. Microwave both for 1 -2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let it cool a bit and then pour.

tootie0809 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 20

When I do ganache to cover a cake in fondant, I do it thick, not thin for glazing or pouring over a cake. The chocolate/cream ratio is different than a pourable ganache. It is put on like buttercream with a spatula/knife, so it has to be thick, like a peanut butter consistency. For regular chocolate, the ratio that I use is 2:1 for chocolate to cream. So example, 24 ounces of chocolate to 12 ounces of cream. White chocolate is more like 3:1 because of the large amounts of cocoa butter. When heating your cream, do not let it come to a full boil or it will boil over your pan faster than you can get it off the burner and makes a horrible mess. Bring it to just when it starts to bubble, then take it off the burner and pour it over the chocolate pieces. Hint...the smaller the chocolate pieces, the better it will turn out. I've tried with the large baking squares and they take too long to melt and some pieces never do completely melt and you get a chunky ganache. Chocolate chips are the best sizes, at least for me. Once you pour the cream over the chocolate you need to mix it really, really well with either an immersion blender or what I use is just a regular hand mixer. You want to get it as smooth as possible. Do not put it in the fridge immediately as it will get chunky (I can speak from experience on that). Let it cool down on the counter. This can take a few hours until it sets and is ready to be applied to the cake. Just ice the cake as you normally would with buttercream only use the hot-knife method to get it super smooth. Let it sit for a few minutes to firm up. Then apply some simple syrup to the entire cake. This acts as the glue for the fondant to adhere to. Then roll and apply the fondant as you would over buttercream.

For the dam, I would just use a very thick rim of buttercream, I mean really thick. I just use a coupuler without a tip in a piping bag to get an even thickness dam.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Jennzoe333 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks guys! I already screwed it up then! The recipes I found online called for equal parts cream to chocolate! I guess mine will be way too thin now icon_sad.gif LOL

I guess i could heat it up again and add some more chocolate? I don'
t really want it to be a really thick layer of chocolate, because I used semi sweet gourmet organic chocolate chips and it has a bit of a bitter kick to it. Maybe it will turn out ok a little thinner? I already prepared some chocolate buttercream to use as the damn for my berry filling. I guess if the ganache is too think I could ice it in buttercream and then pour the ganache over it? I was really trying to get away from the buttercream all together. Oh well, maybe next time.

Again, thanks everyone! I'll let you know what I figure out to do!

msulli10 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 20

Try adding more chocolate. Don't waste it. I screwed up as well and managed to salvage it.

Jennzoe333 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 20

ok i have to go get some more chocolate in the morning. I'll just wait and let it cool until I can fix it! Thanks guys!

kcassano Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 20

you can use the ganache as a damn as well. there really is no need to make buttercream just for the damn. woudlnt it seem wierd to have this smidge of buttercream? plus, nothing will be a stronger damn than the ganache. nothing is going to get thru that sucker. definitley do not put it in the fridge. the cream has been cooked, so no need to refrigerate. you'll end up having to slowly heat it up -- even if you let it come to room temperature it will never be the nice smooth consistency as if you would have left it sit out to set up. it's jut an added extra step, and that can be a pain sometimes. i usually make it one day ahead of time to set up and then ice. you can put it on as thick or as thin as you like. i usually let it setup o the cake for a couple hours, or overnight, before applying the fondant. also, instead of making a simple syrup or using piping gel, you can just mist it lightly with water from a spray bottle right before putting the fondant on.

350BakerStreet Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 20

I'm going to be doing a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and chocolate mousse filling with fondant over the top.

So, a couple questions here:

Can it be left out on the counter overnight?

Is it hard to ice the cake if the cake is soft?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

kcassano Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 20

well if you have a perishible filling, which i assume your mousse is, then I would refrigerate it after frosting it with the ganache. you will probably want to make sure you let it set out for a while to reach room temperature before applying fondant b/c condensation and fondant do not go well together.

350BakerStreet Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 20

That's what I was wondering about. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 20

sharon zambito.. lets her ganache covered cakes... (peanut butter consistency) sit over nite .. before she covers with fondant. she has some good techniques that she does to the ganache before she puts the fonant on.. she shows all this on her topsy turvy cakes.. all of her dvds are wonderful..

Jennzoe333 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #13 of 20

Ok, so I finally covered a cake with the ganache. Once I got it on the cake and smoothed it, I decided not to even put any fondant on the cake because it was such a lovely deep shade of crown. My smoothing needs to get a little better, but honestly, I found the ganache easier than smoothing buttercream! LOL I even piped it onto the cupcakes. it was a semi-sweet gourmet chocolate and it tasted fantastic with the strawberry and lemon cake I made! Thanks for all your help guys! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated in regards to the ganache!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1551841

Jennzoe333 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:02am
post #14 of 20

ooppss I meant BROWN, not CROWN LOL

milkmaid42 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #15 of 20

I like to make up a big batch of ganache and what ever is left over I scrape into a plastic container and refrigerate until I need it again. Then I mix up however much more I need and zap the cold ganache briefly in the microwave and mix the two together. I love working with it instead of BC and generally have it on hand. By the same token, if your ganache is too firm, a little zap restores it to spreadability.
I don't know if it is recommended, but it works for me.

Jennzoe333 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #16 of 20

I'm starting to think that I prefer it to buttercream as well. I know it must taste better, because my husband has had his finger in the container since I was finished icing all of these cupcakes and the cake!!!! I don't think I'm going to have any leftover. LOL

Colliegirl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:34am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennzoe333

Ok, so I've never made or used ganache and would like to give it a try. LOL

icon_surprised.gif

Sorry about this Jennzoe but I have had to pull myelf together for this post. Not because your thread was funny, but I just had a flashback to my first and only foray into ganache covering and .....PTSD just sent in.

It looks lovely and perhaps it works well in your neck of the woods but I live in a hot tropical climate and when I covered the cake with ganache and tried to get it to the wedding reception the ganache melted everywhere. There wasn't a thing I could do but see it deteriorate right in front of my eyes. Also my kitchen is not air conditioned so everytime I had to smooth it I had to quickly put it into the fridge to cool before I could a little more. Talk about stress and then some.

So I guess ganache is for those in a cooler climate, unless someone has tips on how to combat the dastardly heat with ganache. icon_biggrin.gif

just_for_fun Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #18 of 20

I want to try ganache, just wondering - how much do i need to cover a 9x4 round cake?

kcassano Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:54am
post #19 of 20

Colliegirl -- i'm a midwesternern so we do have more cool seasons than warm, but it does get pretty hot and humid in the summer. i wonder if you played with the choc to cream ratio if it would help -- meaning if you used less cream than normal, which in theory means you would have a harder setting ganache. just an idea.

i too am sold on the ganache technique instead of BC. I actually never use BC under my fondant. no bulges, easy to smooth, nice and sturdy..and oooohhh so yummy. i buy the coveture chocolate (calebaut - sp?) and there is nooo comparision (used to use giradelli). highly recommend--also much nicer to work with. thank god i've never had to watch my cake deteriorate in front of my eyes like poor colliegirl. i cant even imagine. ugh.

Colliegirl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:41am
post #20 of 20

Hi Kcassano, I can understand the idea of ganache under the fondant and I shall look into that, as I haven't ever thought of doing that. And yes of course it would be really yummy!

I haven't played with the ratio but I intend to. I really have to stop looking at the bad experiences and get cracking on succeeding with it all. I try and buy a 70% cocoa or more ratio in the chocolate for all my chocolate needs, it doesn't fair well when you yourself don't like chocolate! Yeah, I think I am from outer space!!!!

Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%