Mommy Question, Girly Bumped Her Head

Lounge By motherofgrace Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm by summernoelle

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:53am
post #1 of 12

hey there,

So I have a two year old who last week hit her head pretty hard, and got an instant goose egg. The bump went away after a couple days. But I looked at it today and there is now a HARD lump. Is this normal do you think?

11 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 12

Dear little tot - must have been so painful for her.

As you know, there isn't any *padding* on the head - so altho our skulls are hard - they still crack and splinter.
Does your dear little one complain of headaches - sore eyes - or flinch when she puts her head down?

Bluehue

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 12

awwww
I have 7 kids and have been through all sorts of goose eggs. I notice the best thing is to attack the goose egg with a bag of ice before it even has time to stick out. whenever my kids get a hard BUMP I go straight for the ice baggie. The times I havent used the ice is when the goose eggs show up!
I'm sure she will be fine, kids are way more resiliant than we give them credit for! Just gonna have a bad bump for a week or two.
icon_sad.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 12

as a mom to a little boy who thinks his head is a battering ram, here is what my doc said "If it swells out, thats a good thing. When you DON"T see a goose egg, that means all the swelling is going inward and its time to get to the ER NOW!!!"

The hard lump is just the remains of the bruise. You don't see this in other places on the body because the lump can be pushed inward due to the soft tissue.

I'm sure she's fine, but just check her pupils to help alleviate any anxiety. If they dialate, she's fine, if not, call the doc.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 12

Sometimes they can hit their head hard enough to damage the bone and stimulate bone growth, leaving a small, permanent lump. This happened to my son when he was about 18 months. His sister was chasing him, and he ran into a wall at full speed, hitting his forhead very hard.

He had a goose-egg lump for a couple of days or so, then ia much smaller lump that didn't go away. His ped said he had hit so hard it had damaged the bone and caused new bone growth and the lump would be permanent. As he has gotten older, it became less and less visible, though. He's 7 now, and you really can't see it anymore.

motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 12

ok thank you.

She seems fine lol. Im just going to take her in if it doesnt start to clear up next week icon_smile.gif

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 12

When my daughter was about 1 1/2, she fell down the cement stairs leading to our condo. She got a big goose egg on the front of her head and cried herself to sleep. Later when I was describing it to my MIL who also happens to be an EMT I told her it looked like she hit her head on the sides as well as the front because she had bruises behind both ears. My MIL told me the bruises were signs of a concussion. From then on whenever one of my kids hit their heads, the first thing I did was check behind their ears. One of those tidbits of knowledge they should tell mom before she leaves the hospital with the baby.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #8 of 12

My son was in an extremely bad accident this summer. He had a goose egg that turned into a hemotoma that lasted over a month. It was a hard lump of dried blood that takes the body some time to get rid of. It will go away.

motherofgrace Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:44am
post #9 of 12

ok thanks you

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:40am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

When my daughter was about 1 1/2, she fell down the cement stairs leading to our condo. She got a big goose egg on the front of her head and cried herself to sleep.

. My MIL told me the bruises were signs of a concussion.
And that is why you never ever let anyone (regardless of age) to go to sleep within the first hour of hitting their head - no matter how lightly or hard - for that is when concussion sets in. From then on whenever one of my kids hit their heads, the first thing I did was check behind their ears. One of those tidbits of knowledge they should tell mom before she leaves the hospital with the baby....Indeed - and in todays modern world so many Mothers think that the old ways are just that - old fashioned - and seem to be of the theory - oh it was just a bump - you'll be right - icon_rolleyes.gif - mainly cause Mum is too busy wanting to do something else.
Whilst working in the childrens ward many years ago, i remember a Mother coming in with a child she could not wake - the child had hit its head some 26 hours previous and had been sleeping ever since...
Needless to say the child was in a very bad way - and besides that was at the lowest point of dehydration -
The young Mother never knew not to allow her child to go to sleep after hitting ones head....for at least an hour.
She just thought that because the child had cried so much it was tierd -
The little child remained in hospital for 19 days - and it took a lot of medical intervention and prayers from the Mother to pull that child through

Bluehue.

motherofgrace Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:57am
post #11 of 12

omg!

No I kept her up for 6 hours, and called the nurse line here. And when through a whole bunch of home tests that the nurse asked me.

I am just worried because the swelling had gone away (remeber this was a week ago) and now is back but HARD this time, I should add that there is a yellow and green bruise as well

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 12

Like I said, it is most likely a hematoma and nothing to worry about. But call the doctor to make sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%