Attach With Wire

Decorating By k_goldhawk Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm by JustToEatCake

k_goldhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_goldhawk Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #1 of 7

I am trying to attach stars and the number 1 with wire... Not sure what wire to use and how to get 1 to stand up or stars on the wire....Any suggestiosn would be appreciated. Still new at all this...

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,you need a thick strong floral wire. Maybe 22 gauge wires. When you are cutting them, it should be a bit thick. And then Dip the one end of the wire in sugarglue/ egg white and insert it into the cutout star or number one. Then leave it to dry completely. icon_smile.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:14am
post #3 of 7

i was just going to ask the same question, so thanks for asking and answering it. I do have another question though. Do you have to put some sort of protection around the wire before inserting it in the cake. I don't want to make anyone sick.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:08am
post #4 of 7

I know that some people cover the wire with plastic wrap, I know that others insert a stir straw into the cake and then insert the wire into the straw. I don't do either or, I just put the wire into the cake and I have not had any problems. Hope that helps.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:33am
post #5 of 7

Hi, I never insert wires straight into the cake. Its not food safe. I use a posypick/flower pick. Put some fondant into the posypick and then insert the stars and numbers in and then insert that into the cake.

HPH. icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 7

I havent' used wire as of yet, but I've heard others on cc suggest dipping the wire into melted choc. I think I would do that. icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 7

I'll tell you what works great. Take lollipop sticks and the wires will slide right down the center. They look like they are solid sticks but there is a tiny hole in the center because the sticks are actually paper wrapped tightly. No mess, no melting chocolate and you can pull them out if need be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%